what filters do you use for your QTs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikemou

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm hoping to find cheap yet functional equipments for my 5 gal QT. Since neither gravel nor live plants are needed for a QT, and I know in the next few months I won't need a heater so pretty much all I need to start is just a filter. I plan to tear down the QT everytime after Q is over, so actually usage is low.

What would be a low-cost yet reliable choice? Any suggestions/ideas?

Thanks for your help!

A little aquaclear would be cheap and easy, and you could get a reusable media bag for it so you could throw in whatever you wanted in the bag for media like carbon and then chuck it if needed.

a good sponge filter, and while I'm not using it I keep it in my sump (yes I have a sump for a fw tank)

I have used a sponge filter, but found it was too noisy with the air pump. Right now there is a TopFin 10 on the QT tank--I think that filter came with one of my 10 gal tanks.

I use a Penguin Mini. It's a good filter for any tank 10 gal or smaller, but if I had it to do over, I think I would go with a sponge filter. For starters, a sponge filter is at least 1/3 the price of the cheapest HOB. The Penguin cartridges are expensive and because the tank is used on-and-off, the biofwheel never becomes cycled. Plus the sponge filter doesn't have carbon - a plus if you are using meds. I hate having to remove the carbon from the penguin cartridges.

No, the aquaclear is a HOB. I never used this brand myself, but I've read nothing but good things about them. For price, check out BigAls.

This is a sponge filter - probably the simplest & cheapest filtration you can buy. You do, however, need a quiet air pump, tho. I have two of these filters in my 15 gal betta tank.
http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/category.xml?pcid1=2885;category_id=1725

Tetra Whisper HOB for 5-15 gallon aquariums.

I keep it on my main tank to have it cycled for the QT.

When I treat the QT (or if I suspect pathogens) I just give it a strong bleach solution to clean out any bacteria/parasites. Thoroughly rinse under tap water. Let the filter bag soak in a cup of water and test for chlorine to make sure it is rinsed thoroughly and then put it back on the main tank when all seems safe.

Back
Top Bottom