What happened to the price of Rena Canister Filters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

confusion

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am a fan of the rena XP canisters and have bought many of them. In October, I bought an XP3 for $89 and an XP2 for $69 from Big Al's. Now, the prices are $139 for the XP3 and $119 for the XP2. I have noticed that the prices are similar at all of the online stores I've found.

To me, their value was how inexpensive they are.

Why do politics have to impact my fishkeeping? ugh.

Didn't think about that, but it makes sense...

Get too many people started liking them.

My LFS has them on the shelf for I think $269.00. It's crazy. Glad I got my three of them when I did.

The AC 110 Also went up in price. Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't oil come into play when producing the plastic parts for different things. The price of crude oil might be affecting the products used in this hobby.

The price of oil affects the cost of the plastic and the transporation costs (everything moves by truck at one point or another). All products from overseas are affected by how far teh dollar has fallen against other currencies.

Look at this graph of the exchange rate to the Euro for the past month. It went from 1.45 to 1.55 in a month

Transportation and exchange rates will affect cost more than the cost of oil. There's also a large bubble in the commodities market right now because of the inflation and dropping dollar. It's a sadly self reinforcing cycle, the dollar drops, traders buy commodities and other currencies. Causing the dollar to drop further and inflation to increase. It keeps going to the point where demand drops off from consumers. People stop buying, and prices drop again. Then we wait a few years and do it all over again.

Sadly it's not only Bushy boy. Clinton helped a lot, and it really start a long while before him. We went from the most protectionist country in the world, to pushing the 'Free Trade' mantra really hard. Either economy can be made to work, transitioning between the two takes a long time and tends to cause a LOT of problems for decades and decades along the way.

Basically our old protectionist policies had over inflated the dollar and US wealth. Free trade is like opening the drain pipe on the tank. We get screwed until the wealth levels even out across the globe or set of trading partners.

The sad part is, if we try to go back to protectionist policies to stop the wealth hemorrhage, it will end up stalling our economy hard. Since we don't have our manufacturing base any more, it would have to be rebuilt. Requiring a LOT of investment, that will be hard to do with tighter lending standards and a smaller pool of investors.

We're pretty much screwed either way. Either the US economy withers until we're matched with our trading partners, or we come to a grinding halt and have to rebuild nearly from scratch. Slow continuous pain, or re-break the leg to set the bone right pain. Somehow I'm not liking these options...

i know that here in japan the value of the U.S. dollar is going down dramatically. here off base, we use yen. when i first got here, a little over 2 years ago, 1 U.S. dollar was worth around 120 to 125 yen, now it's only worth 99 yen. so within the last 2 years, just here in japan, it's been dropping. i can only imagine the drops throughout the world

Throw your savings into Australian dollars and banks if you can. Anything you keep in dollars is just going to devalue for the next year. Some time after august is when you'll know approximately how long until the dollar is a good investment. Keep a close eye on it and you could get a nice ride as the dollar comes back.

Back
Top Bottom