What if a Protien Skimmer is "too small"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RLG2182

Aquarium Advice FINatic
This has been on my mind for a bit...

I'm using an old (but still cranking) Euro Reef CS5-2 skimmer with a Sedra 3500 pump. It says it's rated for 75 gal. Well, this was ok when I had a 60 gal, but I now have a 140 with that 60 as a sump.

I was going to upgrade and saw the ASM G2 which says 200 gal, but uses the same Sedra 3500 that I have. :confused: The ASM G2 is 4 inches taller, and about 1.5 inches thicker in diameter, which I'm sure affects the contact time the bubbles have with the water.

I know my skimmer produces nice green liquid that I collect into a gallon water bottle. But what I'm not sure is if I really need to upgrade it or not. I have a fowlr (may do corals later once I get rid of this problem I have for the moment...).

What do you think... keep or replace?

I would do the mesh mod if you haven't already. It will boost your skimmers output. you might just look at upgrading the pump on it as well, throwing a sedra 5000 on there would probably boost it quite a bit.

Sedra KSP 5000 Needle Wheel Water Pump - AquaCave
DIY Thread Wheel

If your pulling out lots of skimmate and your levels are fine, I wouldn't worry about it. Skimmer size is more in relation to bio-load then tank size.

Back
Top Bottom