What is a fair price for a 55 gallon tank plus stand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

doublenerds

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have an opportunity to buy a tank from someone with whom I am friendly. It's a 55 gallon tank (no hood, no hardware) and a wood stand with cabinets.

Assuming both are in decent condition, what would you consider a fair price for these items? I don't think either of us feels educated enough about the used tank market to set a price, so I've decided to leave it to the fine folks at AA.

Thanks!

I'd say about 150 seems fair to me. About a dollar per gallon for the tank, and then about 100 for the stand.

Homedog98 said:
I'd say about 150 seems fair to me. About a dollar per gallon for the tank, and then about 100 for the stand.

That's a different story in australia. Or perth where I'm from anyways! A 100 gallon tank with stand and a [mod edit] built in filter and hood will cost over $1000 easy

Last edited by a moderator:
Just for comparison purposes, I just bought a new 55 gal with stand and hood with lighting a few weeks ago and paid $200.

i paid 100 for the 55G and stand i have now its really just city dependant and if you can sniff out a good deal! lol

That's true hack. when I was in the market for my 55, I looked all over Craigslist and was surprised that I couldn't find a deal! I really hadn't planned to buy a new one, but I ended up spending about what I would have on Craigslist.

You guys are paying way to much! Go to Wichita, KS craigslist and look at those prices! I bought a 55, stand and a Fluval 404, with rocks, heater for 160.00. Unfortunately the guy I bought it from screwed up the Fluval, but he returned 100 to me, and I bought a Eheim 2510, and love it! I can by them all day long. Matter of fact, looking at a 75 and stand for offered 120 right now!

Yeah, $150 seems steep for just a tank and stand.

You'll end up spending way more than that for cover, light, filter, heater etc. even if you buy at Wallyworld or whatever, little lone actual quality goods at the lowest possible price.

Two weeks ago, I bought a 55 at a garage sale with stand, cheap but working hoods and lights, heater and extra filters and two boxes of stuff for $50.

That's a different story in australia. Or perth where I'm from anyways! A 100 gallon tank with stand and a [mod edit] built in filter and hood will cost over $1000 easy

it's Much the same in England, can't believe they are so cheap in the U.S. :(

Pete

It's a trade-off I guess.

You pay more for your hobby, but we pay out the wazoo if we need a doctor, even with insurance.

mudraker said:
It's a trade-off I guess.

You pay more for your hobby, but we pay out the wazoo if we need a doctor, even with insurance.

O really? I didn't know that! Haha ya I guess u cant have everything! Well unless u live in dubai :p

It all depends on your location too, I live in CT so searching Craigslists is sometimes slim pickings, just out of curiosity i did a CL search in florida and there are thousands of people selling great stuff, huge gallons for very cheap. It's amazing how your location plays into it. Happy hunting though. The only thing i can say is don't rush it. Look on CL and ebay for hardware, its the best way to get a great deal.

It all depends on your location too, I live in CT so searching Craigslists is sometimes slim pickings, just out of curiosity i did a CL search in florida and there are thousands of people selling great stuff, huge gallons for very cheap. It's amazing how your location plays into it. Happy hunting though. The only thing i can say is don't rush it. Look on CL and ebay for hardware, its the best way to get a great deal.

yea i said the same thing on the first page location has alot to do with it

Back
Top Bottom