What is a good filter for a 10 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grimlock3000

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have the 10 gallon tank package from Wal Mart which included the Aqua Tech 5-15 filter (rated 100 gph, no bio-wheel, uses thin filter cartidges). I have 12 small fish in my tank, and I do not think the filter is doing that great of a job because of the bio load. I am looking for a better filter that will help keep my water cleaner and make sure the fish are as healthy as possible. At the same time, I do not want to go overboard and put so much current in the tank that the fish are swimming against it constantly. Any ideas on what a good filter would be? Thanks.

If I get a Penguin Bio Wheel, would the 125 model be the best, or do I only need 100 gph?

The Penguin Bio Wheels looks just like what I have now, with the wheel of course.

I have the same walmart ten gallon kit. I think the filter is doing a good job. I have eleven fish in my tank. I've had it since December and all is well in fishville.

However, I bought another ten gallon tank. I wanted the same filter so I could just buy the same kind of filter cartridge. The one I bought was the same model and make, but it was more powerful than the one in the kit. I couldn't figure it out.

Look at the filters on any other brand and they are the same thickness.

I guess I'm just saying that I'm happy with my Aquatech 5-15

"The one I bought was the same model and make, but it was more powerful than the one in the kit. I couldn't figure it out."

Maybe I got a bad one then? I am not sure. The filter seemed to work great when I first got it, but recently the water is less clear no matter what I do. Tried replacing the filter cartridge (at 4+ weeks old) and it did not help. I have a friend who has a few tanks and has used Aqua Tech and a couple of Fluval filters. He swears by the Fluvals over the Aqua Tech filters and says they keep his water much more clear. I see all kinds of small filters around for less then $35 or so, so I was hoping I could get a better filter that would help my tank be more clear.

get an aquaclear filter, or a whisper filter

I think both come completely apart, which is great for cleaning ... sometimes the motor gets real gunked up on my whisper 2, so I just drain the filter (into a bucket, not the tank!) and snap off the motor unit from the bottom, and give the motor a soak in bleach water and a scrub with a bottle brush

the aquaclear is neat because of the way the media is layered inside the filter - allows for a lot of options ... the whispher bags are reusable however, and seem to catch a lot of debris.

well ... gph for most of your "standard" HOT / HOB style filters is usually exaggerated, with the exception of the Magnums - they have awesome flow, but it comes at the expense of noise

I would aim for 120 to 150 gph ... that way as your media begins to clog, your flow still maintains a good turnover rate.

btw, don't worry too much about fish having to swim against the current, with the exception of big finned fish like betta's, and those fancy fan-tailed goldfish, most fish like a good current and you will seem them play in it, and it gives them excersise.

I have a penguin bio-wheel mini on my 10 gal....and I highly reccommend it. It's great!

I've a Penguin 125 on my 10g as well. I try for 6-10x turnover in my tanks (which would be 60-100 gph in a 10g). The 125 obviously runs even higher, and as glmclell said, the more the better (long as your not knocking the fish against the side of the tank LOL).

I really like the Millenium filters. Very reliable, has a bio grid that doesn't get thrown out, and also has a Venturi air system to keep the bio bugs well aerated. A Millenium 1000 does a great job on a ten gallon system.

I have a Penguin 125 on my 10 gal and I am very pleased with the performance. There is excellent flow in there, and you cannot beat a BioWheel. They are slightly noisy to begin with before the wheel gets good bacteria going, but after a few weeks it is quiet as a mouse.

Back
Top Bottom