What is a good protein skimmer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bntv

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone. I am thinking about getting a protein skimmer. Any suggestions? I have a 38 gallon. I prefer hob and small size but efficient. On a budget so anything around 70 dollars.

Meh... with a 38 gallon, as long as you had enough live rock for biological filtration, and added partial water changes weekly, that should be all the filtration you needed.

However, if you do want to get a skimmer, i would look in to the CPR Bak-Paks and the HOB Reef Octopus'. Those are amazing skimmers for the money. Only thing is.. i don't think you will find one for 70$. I got the lowest HOB version of a reef octopus for my 55G, and it cost me 120$. The CPR's may be a bit cheaper, but im not sure because i haven't looked at them. It's going to be tough to find ANY type of skimmer out there for 70$.. Even the junky seaclones are 100$+. You may want to invest more money in a skimmer though..

But in the event, all you absolutley HAD was 70$ give or take a few dollars to spend on a skimmer, you could always check your local listings for used ones on craigslist. Or you can look on ebay for good prices on skimmers.

I've ordered the 280L Venturi Driven Protein Skimmer (SA-2011) and Weipro Internal/External Water Pump (WH-2000) - for about $65 AUD. Should easily cover 38g.

Can't go wrong for $65 I guess, not a large outlay. Haven't got it yet, so can't comment on quality.
Will let you know.

*This is HOB and quite small

I've ordered the 280L Venturi Driven Protein Skimmer (SA-2011) and Weipro Internal/External Water Pump (WH-2000) - for about $65 AUD. Should easily cover 38g.

Can't go wrong for $65 I guess, not a large outlay. Haven't got it yet, so can't comment on quality.
Will let you know.

*This is HOB and quite small

Thats awesome let me know about the results later on.

I didn't think of it before, but i know the nano skimmers are cheap as well. And since your tank is considered fairly small, the nano skimmer would do just about the same work that a regular HOB skimmer would do.. In this case at least. Try googling nano skimmers.

Back
Top Bottom