Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-12-2014, 12:37 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds like a plan Keep us posted with your results.
We tried the sand fluidized bed filter in FL as well but had the same issue with blackouts at night causing them to clog. Another good idea but not for my area. lol NEXT!!!!
(FYI, I used to work with Dick Boyd ( creator of Chemi-pure) at one pet shop and then he became my customer when I opened my wholesale house. Guess he liked what I built and how it maintained the fish )

Old 06-12-2014, 01:06 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post
Sounds like a plan Keep us posted with your results.
We tried the sand fluidized bed filter in FL as well but had the same issue with blackouts at night causing them to clog. Another good idea but not for my area. lol NEXT!!!!
(FYI, I used to work with Dick Boyd ( creator of Chemi-pure) at one pet shop and then he became my customer when I opened my wholesale house. Guess he liked what I built and how it maintained the fish )
good point about the fluidized bed, hmmmm. well I could run airline into each bottle reactor and tie it to battery air pump to at least maintain some degree of "disturbance" within them to avoid clumping/clogging.

got to ponder this a bit more.....

Old 06-12-2014, 01:24 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_Smith View Post
good point about the fluidized bed, hmmmm. well I could run airline into each bottle reactor and tie it to battery air pump to at least maintain some degree of "disturbance" within them to avoid clumping/clogging.

got to ponder this a bit more.....
And this was the point. Why would a new customer want to get into the hobby if the hobby was too complex to be in? Simplicity, while not always the best alternative, is what people needed back then as well as now. But simplicity doesn't have to mean skimping on necessities. With a little bit of knowledge, we all could build filters, backgrounds and even tanks for less than it costs to buy new HOWEVER, if you don't have the time or expertise, you have to buy somebody elses' creation. ( My DIY filters were not a pretty sight to see but they worked like crazy. LOL ) Thus, the "next best thing" is on the drawing board right now being created. Will it be better than what's out now? Probably not but it will be simpler.

Ponder away
Old 06-12-2014, 01:46 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

yeah, but like I said, those of us that check this forum daily or more are finatics and just wee bit crazy...

I just set-up this tank a few months ago and before I was even done I had already mapped out another salt set-up and at least three different fresh water set-ups in my mind....
here we go again.....
Old 06-12-2014, 02:33 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

I hear ya. lol I am putting up a new building on my property to be a fish hatchery. What was I thinking??????????
Old 06-12-2014, 08:20 PM   #36
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post
And this was the point. Why would a new customer want to get into the hobby if the hobby was too complex to be in?

Umm, their family didn't know what they were letting themselves in for? I would agree it can be done simply. I must admit I'm a sucker for the hardware but every so often I see posts on simple stuff (nothing new but maybe a new twist) that works fine. That's what I like that you can gear the hobby to your time and funds and DIY wish.

I wouldn't say I'm fanatical though. Why just the other day a parcel turned up that wasn't fish tank related .

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com