What kind of bulb to get??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4inchSandBed

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 35 gallon HEX and i am purchasing a 175w metal halide pendant for it. What is the ideal bulb to get for it? 10k? 13k? or 20k?. I will not be running any actinic (not sure if i spelled that rite) lights, just the pendant only.

Any suggestions or comments will be appreciated

Hara is right, the higher the Kalvin (sp?) Rating the more blue you're going to have. If at all possible, try to supplement some Actinics in your tank, if you don't have space, go with the 13 or 20k. I've seen the different bulbs, and I like the 20k more..it has a really nice blue hue.

I would say the 13 will give you plenty of blue and still give enough other spectrum for growth.

I had 3, 250 watt 20k MH bulbs for over a year. The corals growth was excellent.

I think the 20k is not as intense but with a 35 gal, you should be fine. I used to use 10k's with very little actinic. I am using 14k MH with a 03 T5 and a Blue+ T5. When the Halides go out, the tank is VERY blue but the colors I get are amazing.

I really could not tell a huge difference with the CV 14k and the CV 10k. Some 20K are not super blue either. Just research the brand to see before you buy.

okay, i think im gonna go with the 13k bulb. Can anyone recommend a good bulb brand? or are they all pretty comparable. Something affordable but also dependable.

mogul screws in like a light bulb. HQI is a double ended bulb ... has contacts on both ends.

As for recomendations, I have always used and like Coral Vue bulbs. They are cheap and my corals grow extremely well IMO. I considered Hamilton 14k's when I bought the CV's.

XM's are supposed to be nice too.

Not much help here but that is what I have used.

Back
Top Bottom