what kind of filter do i need for gourami fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For fry a better choice is an internal sponge or box filter, as there is no intake tube for them to get sucked into.

That filter can suck them up, yes. I believe you can put a sponge over the intake to help prevent that from happening though.

If you already ordered it, then its a bit late for you to ask, but I am with Sati and get an AC mini sponge, cut an "X" in it with a sharp blade, and slip it over the intake. It will require squeezing out more often than you would normally do filter maintenance, so keep an eye on it. It acts as a prefilter and clogs quickly.

do you mean a real sponge or a little thingy that goes into the filter

If you already have a HOB filter, then it has an intake tube, usually with a cage-like device that slips onto the end of the tube. Remove that, and get the "AquaClear Mini" sponge, which is a rectangular (elongated cube) sponge that is designed to go inside a filter, but will not be used for that purpose here. If you cut a hole, or an X into it, you can slide it onto the plain intake tube and it will prevent fry from being sucked into the filter. It prevents quite a lot of debris from going into the filter, so that is why you have to look at it every day and rinse it out now and again to keep it from getting clogged.

i dont really get it you get it do you take the "cagelike thing" off or do you take it off put the thing inside it and put ir back on

(please explain further)

usually with a cage-like device that slips onto the end of the tube. Remove that, and get the "AquaClear Mini" sponge,

You take off the "strainer" (cage like device) and REPLACE it with the sponge.

It was all very clear in Tankgirl's post. I'll admit some times I have to re-read a post a couple times before all the info sinks in. Please try this in the future, Mr. Krap.

LIBRARY - Go there, check out fish keeping books. Read them, come back if you have follow-up questions. You're buying fish and equipment before you know what you're doing. We can't answer everything for you. While we can answer your questions, we can't tell you the answers to questions you don't know to ask. That's why I'm encouraging you to read a lot of the next few weeks regarding the care of fish before you do anything else.

I'm really trying to help, not just be a :evil:

the part didnt really get was cut an X. ill try and get one and see if it clarify's things a little more

i talked to this petsmart guy
it really makes things easier when your talking to someone (like on the phone)
i get it now
you get a sponge and cut the x and put it over the intake thingy :) right?

another question i have is what is too powerful for a bubblenest?? and
how would u slow down the water??

on this site ive heard that pantyhoes work good
which ones work better sponge or panty?

oh and ya kno the hard boiled egg in the water and u shake it up and then feed it to the fry and that lasts couple days right?
how much water do you put with the yolk?? like every 2 cups you put the whole center of the egg or....

if the female rejects the male gourami will they fight?? how do you know if they get rejected?

Back
Top Bottom