What kind of filter should I get for my 75 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BONESTOCK

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey all,

I just started my 75 gallon tank.

It'll be a FW with some live plants and fish.

What would you use for a filter?

Thanks,
Mike

Personally I have an above tank wet dry and a FBF ready for my ~75g (probably 330litre) if and when I get it, tho still debating as to whether I will use the FBF... Both will circulate around 1400litres/hour. Most people seem to use a couple of canisters these days tho...

Okay.

So should I use like a regular hob filter? I have 135lbs. of gravel in there and a bunch of rock. I'll get a picture as soon as I can.

Bonestock- Depending on how much money you want to spend on the filtration system, we purchased a Cascade 1000 Canister for our 55. It's big enough for a 75 but we plan on purchasing a bigger tank in the future and using the Canister on it. We chose the Canister because it seemed like the standard hob filtration unit directed attention away from the tank. Now all we have is two tubes coming from the back of the tank. You can't see the filtration unit and it works great.

I use eheim cannisters and a hob on most of my bigger tanks. The hob is easy to access and clean, so you tend to clean it often. I place the intakes at opposite ends of the tank for max cleaning. It also gives you some insurance if 1 filter should fail.

Are there certain canister type filters I should stay away from?

I guess I could use my current hob and a canister filter on the other side. Instead of a power head. Or would using the powerhead and a canister be better?

The Canister 1000 comes with white filter floss, a black foam filter, and a charcoal bag. The floss and foam can be rinsed but should be replaced once a month. The charcoal does need to be replaced once a month. I tried to go to the e-bay page that you pasted into the message but I got an invalid item link. Our Canister was purchased for $93 but is normally $130. If you can get it for $60 that's VERY good. We were told that the canister filtration systems are better because they move a lot more water and filter alot better. They are also hidden so you don't have to see it.

hmmm...the link still works for me. Thanks for the reply though! I'm going to the local petshops to check out some canister type filter systems!
Here's some pics!!

I just moved into my house so the tank is fairly new. I had a 29 gallon setup and I moved the stuff into this 75 gallon!

fwfish_0021.jpg

fwfish_0031.jpg

fwfish_0041.jpg

Pearl Gourami
fwfish_0091.jpg

Male Betta
fwfish_0121.jpg

Dumb Goldfish that doesn't sit still.
fwfish_0131.jpg

and my baby! A 14 year old Angel. Yes 14 years old I shyt you not!!
fwfish_0141.jpg

haha thanks! I've had it for a few years now. It covering a peice of driftwood. I have to keep pulling off the mini ferns or else it gets real messy. :D

It was in my 29 gallon. Now in this 75 gallon.

really? so you pull off the rhizomes (or whatever they're called)? I just started doing plants this year ... here's a pic of one of my small java ferns:

7887javafern-12-04-04-med.jpg

As you can see, there's lots of little plantlets growing on it ... how do you go about pruning your java fern? Most of mine look like this one with lots of little leaves growing a-new from the tops & edges of the big leaves.

I've had a fluval 404 for about 2.5 years and love it. No noise, easy clean and prime. Only two hoses - one inlet, one outlet. Filters up to 100 gallons easy!

Those are some good pictures of your tank. I would definitely recommend a canister filter perhaps backed up by a power filter. Canister filters are highly recommended for planted tanks by the members of this website. I suggest looking at a Filstar canister myself although I don't have any personal experience with those.

Bone- I finally got the website that you posted to work. And yes, that is the Filtration unit that we use. I can't believe they were selling it for $60! It's worked great for us and it much nicer looking than the traditional big hob.

They sell it on Big Al's online for $75. No bidding. Hrm...I realize that I keep giving them free advertising. Maybe I should start getting commission? :drinking: hee hee

I just set up a 75 gallon with 2 Rena Filstar xp3 canisters, and i'm happy with it so far. I'm keeping some messy cichlids though, so you may not need that much filtration.

If you want the easy option, I would go with 2 Emperor 400s. They are so simple to use. I have an Emperor 280 and an Emperor 400 on my 55 gal tank and the water is really clear. I guess I am just too lazy to learn how to use canisters when the HOBs are easier to use and they get the job done. :lol:

I have a Magnum 250 and a Fluval 204, both work pretty well on my 37G high, I picked the magnum because I can run carbon/other chem if needed, and also the magnum comes with the micron catridge, which is great when you need your water crystal clean.

Update guys. I bought a Fluval 404! My local petstore was selling it for $100 brand new! It was marked at $190! So I guess I got a pretty good deal! :?

It's all setup and ready to go! I added a few more plants! I'll update pics after I get more fish in! 8)

Back
Top Bottom