What kind of filtration system do I have??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LesterMo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just got a 50 gal high top tank. This thing has a big black box that goes from the bottom to the top of the tank. Inside are two filter pads that are about 2 foot high, rolled up, and are wrapped up in a black mesh of some sort. The lady i got this from has had it since 1995 and told me that this was a protein skimmer, but when i searched for them i got something completely different. One of the filters is very dirty and i cant seem to find out what they are, let alone how to go about finding a new one or trying to salvage this one. Any help would be VERY appreciated.

No, this thing has a warter pump in the top of it, and two separate chambers each with a filter. I am in the process of getting my web cam fixed, when i do i'll post a pic of the tank and the filter.

What is the water flow path? From some slots/holes in the bottom & out at the top?

If so, then this is an internal filter, or possibly some kind of box filter (maybe even home built), or possibly one of those quick filter thing attached to a power head.

Is there some markings - like a brand name somewhere? I think a picture will be most helpful.

Oh, does the whole thing comes out of the tank? If so, it is not an overflow. Also, people usu. don't mount the pump on top of an overflow.

Maillis said:
Sounds like an overflow to me

I agree, It sounds like an overflow with the tubes of poly-filter stuff for mechanical only. Could have been a reef tank so the rocks would have been the bio filter or maybe there are bio-balls deeper into the overflow area. Who knows though.

Back
Top Bottom