Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-11-2013, 08:19 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
A pendant is a compact fixture used to target a specific area, where a fixture would cover a large area, IMO. You wouldn't call a 48" long light a pendant. You have many options for your tank. What size is the tank?

Old 02-11-2013, 10:11 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X
A pendant is a compact fixture used to target a specific area, where a fixture would cover a large area, IMO. You wouldn't call a 48" long light a pendant. You have many options for your tank. What size is the tank?
My tank is 48' long. So I am aware of the vast amount of options for a fixture. But I'd like a HO lighting fixture because I want to get some more exotic plants

Old 02-11-2013, 10:19 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok. what size tank? 55? You would need 2 pendants or a 48" fixture. A pendant generally covers around a 2 x 2 area, give or take. As for output, I'm not too sure how much light plants need opposed to corals, but I would think a 6 bulb t5-ho fixture would be more than enough. A pair of 175 watt halides would also work. They Have dimmable LED fixtures that are super potent as well. I don't know if you need that much punch however. ..but, you can dim them to the desired potency.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:31 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Odysea

I use the oddysea 48 in 108 watt fixture for planted aquariums, very good lights and would highly recommend them.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:38 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

I have a 30" Coralife Aqualight dual T5 NO for a low light 20 long planted tank. If I were to get another light it might be the Current USA Nova Extreme dual T5 HO.
However I like how LEDs are maturing; Finnex models look appealing. For the cost of swapping out new T5 bulbs each year it might be more economical to get decent LEDs.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:58 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X
Ok. what size tank? 55? You would need 2 pendants or a 48" fixture. A pendant generally covers around a 2 x 2 area, give or take. As for output, I'm not too sure how much light plants need opposed to corals, but I would think a 6 bulb t5-ho fixture would be more than enough. A pair of 175 watt halides would also work. They Have dimmable LED fixtures that are super potent as well. I don't know if you need that much punch however. ..but, you can dim them to the desired potency.
Well my goal is to create a carpet on my foreground with dwarf baby tears. So to my knowledge they require medium to high light. What is your input on the subject?
Old 02-11-2013, 11:59 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallascowboys16
I use the oddysea 48 in 108 watt fixture for planted aquariums, very good lights and would highly recommend them.
Did you get them from aqua trader?
Old 02-12-2013, 12:03 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh2o
I have a 30" Coralife Aqualight dual T5 NO for a low light 20 long planted tank. If I were to get another light it might be the Current USA Nova Extreme dual T5 HO.
However I like how LEDs are maturing; Finnex models look appealing. For the cost of swapping out new T5 bulbs each year it might be more economical to get decent LEDs.
Hmm LED you say, how long do those last?
Old 02-12-2013, 12:06 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't have input on that except if you want high light, get a pair of these-
Amazon.com: TaoTronics TT-AL09 Dimmable Aquarium Coral Reef LED Grow Light (120W Output, Blue/White Ratio- 28:27; Two-Year Warranty): Pet Supplies
They will make your planted tank look awesome, plus there's enough light to burn stuff on the sand bed if you so choose. Not the spectrum people shoot for with planted tanks, but I have these fixtures, and with the blues turned all the way down, the light looks like 6000k or so, not 12,000k.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:18 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronW View Post

Hmm LED you say, how long do those last?
Years. Others can chime in on the useful number of years.

To put things in perspective, I was in Lowes the other week getting some dim-able LED bulbs to replace the halogen bulbs in the kitchen. The expected lifespan of the LEDs burning 3 hours a day was 22.5 years. Burning 6-9 hours a day will still come to 7-11 years.

Tags
light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com