what kind of media to put in my filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abelman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had a 72 gal. freshwater tank for some time with an Eheim 2028 cannister filter. (I have a variety of fish in my tank, including parrots, silver dollars, black ghost, underwater frogs, star bay corys, and spotted puffers)

I have found over time that everyone I ask for guidance as to what I should be filling the filter baskets with, gives me a different story. I've tried a variety of filter media, and I now have macaroni type media (i think they're called Ehfimech) in the bottom basket, Ehfisubstrat (biological matter) + activated carbon in the middle basket, and ChemiPure + AmmoChips in the top basket. The filter also has a coarse filter pad in the bottom basket and a softer filter pad in the top basket.

Since I've been having some trouble with the water quality lately (high ammonia and nitrite, and poor water clarity), I've been advised to purchase an additional filter to supplement the Eheim that I already have. Right now, I'm looking at the Filstar XP3 since it seems pretty powerful, easy to use, and cheap.

I was hoping for any suggestions related to the above, expecially with regard to the type of media that I should (or should not) be using in my Eheim filter, as well as in the additional cannister filter that I plan on purchasing.

thanks for your help

Stop using the Chemipure and Ammochips as those are chemically altering the water when you could let the filter get established and do it naturally. In an established tank, adding chemical media to the tank will normally only mess things up. How long has your tank been setup, and how many of each type of fish are in it?

If you are having trouble with a combination of filter pads, Ehfimech, and Ehfisubstrat, the filter media is not the issue. I personally use a coarse pad, Ehfisubstrat, then a fine filter pad and that is it in my Eheim canister, perfectly clear water once the filter gets established. A XP3 is a good filter and will help with water movement.

I will second grimlock3000. I have an Eheim 2215 and I also have an XP3 on another tank, and you are right about them being a great filter for the price.

Ammonia is food for the biofilter so the ammonia removing products will interfere with the bacteria that needs to be present in your tank and in the filter. If it was my situation I would at present remove any chemical filtration in the filter (carbon, ammo chips, etc.) and just run the noodles, the ehfisubstrat, coarse pads and filter floss. Do frequent partial water changes (maybe as often as every other day) to reduce the impact on the fish and wait for the cycle.

Depending upon how many of each of the fish on your list you have, you likely have quite a load in that tank, so increased regular water changes and filter maintenance will probably be required, even after the biofilter gets established.

thanks for your help.

I have had my tank for around 3 years, and I currently have 3 parrots, 3 silver dollars, 2 star bay corys, 1 black ghost, 2 spotted puffers and 3 underwater frogs. (Is that too much?)

I've been doing partial water changes every couple of weeks, and lightly rinsing my filter pads and media about once a month

Now that I'm getting a second filter, I would like to be certain that I filling them with the right media. I plan on having 2 cannister filters, and I believe that each of them has 3 baskets. Can you advise me what would be optimal media to fill each of them with and how often they should be rinsed and/or replaced?

Also can I get your input on the following additives that I generally used after water changes:
stress zyme
stress coat
ammo lock
cycle

And would you recommend that I no longer use any of these in my filter:
activated carbon
ChemiPure
Ammo Chips

thanks again for your help

Your fish load is fine for a 72g tank. You could actually put more fish in there w/o much of a problem once you get your water quality situated.

Also can I get your input on the following additives that I generally used after water changes:
stress zyme
stress coat
ammo lock
cycle

Of those, I would use the Stress Coat ONLY as a way to dechlorinate the water. Even then, I am not sold on the idea of putting Aloe in water conditioners, so I would reccomend using something else once you run out of Stress Coat.

And would you recommend that I no longer use any of these in my filter:
activated carbon
ChemiPure
Ammo Chips

I would reccomend the use of carbon occasionally or when needed to remove meds, and that is it. I use carbon once in a while on my tanks "just in case" something funky has found it way into the water.

The most important thing here is that the least chemicals you put in the water, the better off the fish are. Nothing will substitute for regular water changes and established filter media.

When you rinse your filter media, make sure you use old tank water and NOT tap water as well. I would also try to stretch out the maintenence intervals on the filters to every 2 or 3 months. It takes a while for a canister to clog up.

arent spotted puffers brackish? or are they different from green spotted puffer?

and isnt it sterbai?

and cycle rarely if not at all works

Thanks for the tip.

As far as I know, the spotted puffers are somewhat brackish, but the store had them at around 7.5 ph and I have them at 7.2-7.3 and they seem to be doing fine.

As for the sterbai, you're correct, and thanks for pointing that out.

I am still looking for some guidance as to how I should fill the baskets in my two cannister filters. I've been advised to take out the ChemiPure, Ammo Chips, and activated carbon, but I am not sure what I should be replacing them with. (I have an Eheim 2028 and I am supplementing it with a Filstar XP3)
thanks for your help

err brackish doesnt mean the ph. it means the salt content in the water. its pretty much inbetween salt and freshwater

oh yeah. i dont know canisters but im sure you could keep the carbon in there. it doesnt do any harm.

but i cant tell you anything about the media because once again i have 0 experience with the canister media ;'(

In your canisters you need some bio-media, like noodles or the like, and some mechanical filters like sponges. That is really all you need.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend what media I should use to fill my 2 cannister filters (with 3 baskets in each) for my 72 gallon freshwater tank.
thanks

Back
Top Bottom