What makes a HOB buzz?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lectraplayer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just got my first HOB filter second hand with a couple tanks I got from a buddy, and upon setting it up to test it, it buzzed while it was pumping away. It was moving big water but was very noisy. I forget the model number, but it's the 2 spillway 20-30 gallon model.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk

Maybe a dirty impeller, maybe missing the "foot" that props it up away from the tank, loose lid? With out a make/model I cant say for sure. Was it just noisy while it was filling with water(pretty normal), or even after it was flowing in to the tank?

Could be sand in the impeller, or, depending on how long it was out of service, it just needs to get a slime coat back on the impeller magnet. I helped mine along with a super thin coat of plain Vaseline jelly on the magnet. did that about 2 years ago, dead silent ever since.

It's a Aqua-Tech 30-60. The impeller looks fine. It sounds mostly like a transformer buzz than anything, but I can hear it from the next room over.

The impeller might be out of balance just a little. Soak it in a warm water and vinegar solution to get rid of any buildup. Use a clean toothbrush to clean the entire impeller. Then apply a thin coat of vaseline to the magnet.

Also, check inside the impeller housing. If you have a sprayer attachment on your sink, turn on the water and spray into it, in the event there's something stuck in there. Use the toothbrush to clean it out if it will fit.

I've already done that with the exception of the jelly.

Try the jelly. I had a similar issue with 2 of my penguin HOBs and the jelly cleared it up. It just gives the slime coat a head start, and is perfectly safe for the tank. I had to do 2 applications about 6 months apart, and that was probably 2 years ago. They are completely silent now.

Back
Top Bottom