What Protein Skimmer should i buy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishsticks

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am looking into getting a protein skimmer for my 30 gallon reef aquarium. I wanna know what maker and model is the best for my tank and what makes it a step above the rest. Thanks for your help

Heard many good reviews on the octopus skimmers. My self I went with a bubble magus which doing great, I am a newbie to this hobby do I asked and did my research. My next upgrade will be an octopus though....

rafatoy said:
Heard many good reviews on the octopus skimmers. My self I went with a bubble magus which doing great, I am a newbie to this hobby do I asked and did my research. My next upgrade will be an octopus though....

I have heard good reviews as well on the Reef Octopus brand.

Fishsticks said:
It would be a hang on skimmer. I don't really know what a sump is lol

A sump is a type of filtration system commonly used in marine tanks, with a sump u could put ur heater and skimmer in it to keep from having it hanging on the tank

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120227_223559.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120227_223559.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 106
  • ForumRunner_20120227_223739.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120227_223739.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 99
carey said:
Here is a good read

Sumps Explained

Sorry ta get off topic That was a good read Carey I now have a question for u, in my sump I have built up tank debris when I do my water change this weekend should it be vacuumed out I've not done that yet but seems to me like it would be a good thing any advise? :)

How are you getting debris in your sump? You can add a filter sock to the input line. And yep, I would suck that yuck out. :)

carey said:
How are you getting debris in your sump? You can add a filter sock to the input line. And yep, I would suck that yuck out. :)

Tbh I have no clue but it's very fine almost like powder I guess it's getting through the blue and white filter pad anywho ima get rid of it asap as always thank u very much :-D

It would be a hang on skimmer. I don't really know what a sump is lol

If you learn and want to implement a sump, then you can get a skimmer that does not hang on your display tank. HOB skimmers are not as effective as sump skimmers.

I agree with Terrance HOB skimmer,,,terrible choice, I learn that 150.00 later (down the drain)..lol.. Go with a sump.

rafatoy said:
I agree with Terrance HOB skimmer,,,terrible choice, I learn that 150.00 later (down the drain)..lol.. Go with a sump.

I would do a sump but my tank it on my kitchen counter top in a cutout in my wall, nowhere to store a sump. Unless I move my tank. But I bet that would be a pain to do

So HOB skimmers are your only choice right now.. I like reef octopus. I hope you can fit a skimmer in your wall. They are pretty bulky and loud.

Back
Top Bottom