What pump are you using?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
My first go around with an air stone and pump. I bought the Rena 300 seems ok, like the feature where you can turn up or down the power of the air. But one question, do they all make that annoying humming sound?

It's kinda driving me crazy. I'm watching my fish at night and hear the nice sound of the water and there's that hum just humming along....

Was gonna go with the Whisper but I didn't. I'll NEVER get a top fin. My friend has one and it sounds like its gonna take off for the quarter mile.

I have a Whisper and cannot recommend it... it definitely does not live up to its name!! :facepalm:

I have my air pump on a timer, it comes on at 9am, off at 5pm. That way I can feed with it interfering AND enjoy the tank when Im home from work without the annoying hum/buzz.

I have an alita al-60 linear air pump and it's totally silent, but it's also huge and powers an entire room full of tanks. Honestly though it's the quietest air pump I've ever had, it makes literally no noise except for the sound of air coming out of the end of the piping where the tanks are at.

There's a few things you can do to dampen the noise though. You can put it in a box, like a wooden box or even a cardboard box lined with insulation. Just remember to leave some holes for ventilation. You could also hang the pump in the air so that it's not touching anything, a lot of times the vibration is coming from the pump hitting the surface that its sitting on.

I put mine in the box it came in with some sponges packed around it. Left space around the air intake. It definitely made it more bearable. Still wish it was silent though.

Thanks for the ideas. This thing is driving me crazy!! But I like the way it looks. I can't upload anymore pictures, says I've met my quota. I only have my iPhone so not sure how to fix that issue.

Back
Top Bottom