Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-04-2011, 10:41 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Field S View Post
Having been in this business for going on 15 years, and because much of that time we have had a focus on RODI systems and supplies for the marine aquaculture trade, my advice to you is ...

Watch out!

Any system retailing for $65 is probably not worth having. I would look elsewhere, especially if you are unfamiliar with these systems and don't feel like you are making an educted purchase.

Could we make a $65 system? Sure. But I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I sold it to someone.

Russ
Since you are in the business, what if you get 0ppm readings from the $65 unit. Isn't that the purpose of the unit, or what we are trying to achieve? Are there other things we should be aware of, even if getting these results? TIA

boardsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:00 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I'm also curious what someone says who sells these things for a living. I'm also getting 0 readings on nitrates, phosphates and TDS. My tap TDS is over 250 too.

I think for the price and availability that the $65 unit is a good entry level unit. I haven't had a single issue with mine and have no algae problems so I think the unit is doing it's job.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:01 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to kurtyboh Send a message via Skype™ to kurtyboh
Thats what i have from mine granted i didnt get a tds meter, but the lfs can tell you where youre at
Old 10-04-2011, 11:03 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh and slightly off topic are those tds meters that come with zerowater pitcher filters any good?
Old 10-04-2011, 01:54 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by boardsurfer View Post
Since you are in the business, what if you get 0ppm readings from the $65 unit. Isn't that the purpose of the unit, or what we are trying to achieve? Are there other things we should be aware of, even if getting these results? TIA

We could for instance make a system that consists of (only) an inline DI resin cartridge that would produce 0 TDS water.

So the question really is - How well does the system perform over time, and how does the cost of operation/maintenance compare to other systems.

Without knowing specifically which system you have, I can't really provide any detailed comments. My comments are based on hundreds of similar conversations we've had through the years. I don't want to bash any vendor, so if you'll PM be the brand name and model, I'd be happy to talk with you in detail offline.

Who knows - maybe they have new technology in their $65 system that is superior to everything else out there (very, very unlikely).

Russ
Old 10-04-2011, 02:09 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I think ALOT of people on here would like to know what you think of this unit

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

I purchased mine about 6 months ago for an initial $70 say. I have a clear DI chamber the newer ones like listed above now have a solid DI chamber. I recently started to get TDS readings so I ordered the replacement filters for $28? or so. Planning on installing them next time I need water.

Now keep in mind I don't drink this water, it's entirely for the tanks I have. I also needed the portability aspect as I have NO room for an in plumbed system anywhere. This is also a four stage system if that matters.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:53 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Definitely following along since I also bought a filter from this same company for fairly cheap price.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:19 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'll make some comments about these small systems in general, stage by stage

A better system would have:
  • a 10" x 2.5" sediment filter with a pore size of 1 micron
  • a 10" x 2.5" carbon block (NOT gac) with a pore size of 0.5 micron. The filter in this system is designed to be placed between a pressure tank and a faucet - not to be used to filter feedwater. It has a capacity of about 2,000 gallons - a good block has a capacity 10x that, and costs about the same.
  • a pressure gauge.
  • a 10" x 2.5" vertical, refillable DI stage.
  • well-writen instructions
  • Horizontal DI cartridges are a fundamental design flaw - so if you've bought one of these systems, unclip the DI filter and orient it vertically with bottom-up flow.
  • As pictured, the system has a 100 gpd membrane, but a flow restrictor for a 50 gpd membrane. You'll generate less waste water than the membrane manufacturer recommends, and shorten the life of the membrane
It is what it is. In this case, if you paid $65 for it, I think you got what you paid for. This system might be ok if you have a very small aquarium - like an 8 gallon pico.

Replacement filters are about the same price as you'd pay for standard sized filters, but they have much lower capacity - so the cost of ownership will be higher. You'll end up replacing them more often. Also - especially the way they have that system configured, switch to a higher rejection membrane.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:40 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

they claim to use standard size filters so could we use the system with their filters until its time to replace, then use higher quality filters? my di filter is refillable i was planning on using those color changing nuclear grade ones next- are they worth the cash?

Also which way is bottom up for the di? so the water enters the bottom is that right?
Old 10-05-2011, 06:31 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yes - water should flow up from the bottom to the top through those DI carts. Make sure the DI cart is packed tightly and is completely full.

Russ

Tags
fish, rodi, tank, unit

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com