What size return pump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trueerfan

Aquarium Advice Activist
Planing a 240 gallon build. What size return pump would be recommended? I looking at the Danner Mag pumps should I go the 18 or 24? I will be doing a reef tank with SPS. Thanks guys

My new system is 220g and I have a pump rated up to 9000lph. This is however a variable pump so I can tone it down if needed. I would recommend the same for yours.

Mine is a 240g with two corner overflows. It came with a Rio 26hf (rated 1590 gph) and is working, but I can drain a lot faster than I can return. My drains are practically closed to even things out. Upgrading is on my "to do" list.

lol, I have the rio26hf on my 125g and it works perfectly. :) I'd say bigger for a 240g without a doubt tho

Yeah, I kinda though that it was not going to work as well as I would want. It hums loud too, so I want something a bit more quiet.

I have about 8 mag pumps and really like them so far, and they are quiet for me. :)
The rio is great too though, mine is pretty quiet and it has been running nonstop for over three years with no issues.

So Mag 24. What size of bulk head/drains should I request? 1 1/2"? Bigger smaller?

Mag 24 very energy inefficient and loud IME. Look into the new DC pumps that use less energy and more quiet.

Planing a 240 gallon build. What size return pump would be recommended? I looking at the Danner Mag pumps should I go the 18 or 24? I will be doing a reef tank with SPS. Thanks guys

Look at turning over the whole tank a min of 10x per hour

Back
Top Bottom