What size Sump do I need

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What ever size you want. If it was my setup I'd start in the 50G range. The bigger the better though any size is a plus

Get the biggest you can fit under your stand or if it's not under the stand, get the biggest you have room for.

Think about a sump/fuge all in one. Macro algae, mangroves, rock rubble, light, banished critters from the main. :)

300g main??? I'm feeling like 80g down there. I do remember suggestions on the fuge being about 20-25% of the main, so an 80 would be just abut right.

Last edited:
Is this going to be directly under the tank, or can you plumb down the basement. Some folks have a kiddie pool in the basement for the sump/fuge, others have a sump with another tank as a fuge. All depends on what you can fit and where.

It is going to be in my home office so I have to have to make it look pretty and functional at the same time or the wife will not be happy.

Do the drawing layout to see what will fit under the cabinet you'll have for either size tank. Under my 6ft, I was able to fit the sump/fuge and a FW reservoir tank - which you might wanna consider for topping off more easily. Then, put the largest thing that'll fit under there. Heck, get an acrylic custom made to use all the space you can.

Back
Top Bottom