What the Heck Just Spit out of my Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smooth_cannibal

Aquarium Advice Activist
i've had a sun sun 302 running for about a week and something very strange happened.

i heard it spit up some air in the output line so i gave it some shakes to clear the air.

i got the air out and then i look up at my tank and all this strange white flakey stuff started floating all over the tank. it was almost like fake snowflakes or almost like onion skins. before i could try to dip any out the goldies that are in there attacked and ate it up without spitting it out.

i disconnected the canister filter and opened it up rinsed out the pads, cleared the lines in tank water and set it up again.

anyone know what this crap was that filled up the tank?

I am guessing it is biofilm that developed in the filter container and filter tubing and the burst of air combined with the shaking dislodged it from the tubing walls and pushed it out into the tank. As for the fish eating it, I don't think it is a problem (keep an eye on the anyway) because whatever it is it grew in aerobic conditions in the filter as opposed to some anaerobic pocket somewhere.

I am guessing it is biofilm that developed in the filter container and filter tubing and the burst of air combined with the shaking dislodged it from the tubing walls and pushed it out into the tank. As for the fish eating it, I don't think it is a problem (keep an eye on the anyway) because whatever it is it grew in aerobic conditions in the filter as opposed to some anaerobic pocket somewhere.
I agree, that stuff builds up over time, especially in my filter tube. Nothing to worry about, just not very nice to look at. Are you using a slime coat water conditioner, like API Stress Coat???

okay. really freaked me out at since the filter has been only running for like a week.
Before you get a chance to clean it out, you could use some pantyhose over the return pipe. Cut a piece of the them, place loosely over the return pipe, secure with a rubber band and it will catch all this stuff. Temp fix until you clean out the tubes, where most of it tends to build up. I had this problem, quite often, when I used a slime coat based water conditioner. Since I switched to Prime, I don't have the problem in the time between cleaning my tubes....

What every1 is saying I get the same crap out my fluval after I clean out the media but not the tubing.

the filter is getting moved to the 55 gallon i got in a week or two. the goldfish that are in the 30 are going to go outside when the pond is done. then i can drain and move the 30 to make room for the 55. i just started it so it will get established sooner.

Back
Top Bottom