What to do with the powerheads after a UGF conversion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deadite

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was thinking of converting to a canister filter and getting rid of my UGF in my 55 gal. I have two Aquaclear 402 powerheads. Is there any use for them with a cannister? A quick filter maybe? I also have a Biowheel 170. I have had this setup with the UGF for almost ten years and I added the Biowheel five years ago. But after I have read all the bad things about a UGF on this forum I am thinking of getting a cannister. If I do take out the UGF, does anyone have some tips on how to do it with the least amount of stress on the fish? I am sure that after ten years it is pretty nasty under there. :uhoh:

I would first suggest leaving the UGF in there. I think the general thought is they are not bad, but merely inferior to other methods.

About moving your UGF: I would suggest you start by adding the canister before you remove the UGF. I could be wrong but I would guess that the UGF is a very large portion of the biofilter. You want to disturb this as little as possible. I would start by turning off one power head, and then the other a week or two later. This should result in more bacteria growing on your biowheel and canister. Then in another week or two, put a tube down into the UGF uptake tube and siphon up all the debris (you are right, it will be very nasty down there). I would suggest doing this at least twice. Then you should be able to just pull the UGF out. But make sure to vac the gravel really good first also.

Someone else will have to answer your other questions.
Good luck!

Powerheads can be used by themselves for extra water circulation. I used to have one in my 55 gallon in the corner of the tank. Point it whichever direction to get more water flow in certain areas.

Good luck

Power heads make a good diffuser if you hook up a co2 system. I still run UGFs in my tanks along with HOBs. I recently tore down a 50 that had a UGF for over a year and it was not bad. I have torn down tanks without a UGF and found just as much dirt in the gravel.

Hagen makes filters that can be used with powerheads. It is called the QuickFilter you posted about. It is mainly for mechanical filtering and polishing the water.
I use one on a 402 powerhead in my 37gal along with a xp1 canister.
siphon out all you can from under the ugf and just plug the holes.

Back
Top Bottom