What type of caniter filter do you use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Musket

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a new 46g bow and wasn't sure how to set up filtration. I have an Aqua Clear 70 (for 40-70g tank) seeding on my 10 gallon (yes set to low and hitting into a rock so as not to disturb the inhabitants too much- so far they do not seem to mind the extra flow).
I was wondering what type of canister filter you run, on what size tank. Your likes and dislikes of the filter and media. Would you recommend this filter? Why or why not.
The tank will be moderately planted.

Or do I not need a canister? Or can I live without one for awhile?
Thanks so much!

I've got the Rena Filspar XP2 on my 55 Gal . . .love everything about it, including the price from BigAl's. Great filter media options, 300GPH, choice of jet or spray bar for output (I use the spray bar) and runs absolutely silent. There may be others out there that compare, but I can't complain at all about my XP2 . . . when I get a bigger tank, I'm getting an XP3 without further thought.

Also to everyone: how far away can you keep the filter from the tank. My cabinet shelf pegs are missing so it will be nearly 3 feet to the top of the tank. is this okay? OR does it affect filtration?

My hoses are between 3 and 4 feet long, so no, thats not a problem . . .and you can get extensions for the hoses to go even longer if you need to. Unless you're planning on putting the canister out in the shed in the back yard and running hoses into the house, I don't believe distance is a problem, the same amount of water is running out of and then back into the tank either way.

The shorter the distance, the higher turnover rate you will have. When the filter has to push water further, it slows it down.

I am running 2 Cascade 1000's and 1 Cascade 1200. The 1000 is on a 55 gal tank and the other 1000 and 1200 are on a 150 gal tank. I highly recommend this filter. It is easy to setup, open, and maintain. Not to mention, it has a carrying handle so that makes it even easier.

Rena, Fluval, and Eheim are also great brands and come highly recommended. I think you will be fine with the AC hob though. I've only heard great things about that brand (never tried it myself).

Musket said:
Also to everyone: how far away can you keep the filter from the tank. My cabinet shelf pegs are missing so it will be nearly 3 feet to the top of the tank. is this okay? OR does it affect filtration?

With the Rena XPs (1, 2, 3) there is a mininum HEIGHT difference from the bottom of the cannister to the top of the tank. If the distance is too great, the cannister will leak around the power cord at the back of the filter. I have an XP3 on my 55 and I followed their mininum and still ended up with about 10 gallons on the carpet before I realized it. I had to install a new shelf in the stand and raise the cannister up some more.

XP3 should be a minimum of 24 inches or up to 55 inches below the waterline. Mine sits around 30-31 inches. You measure from the waterline to the top of the xp3.

I've never had a water leaking problem but in other forums I've read about them. Its usually due to not getting the top correctly sealed, the hoses are cut to short/or the filter is more than 55 inches below the waterline and creating tension on the quick release.

Filtration depends on what you plan on doing with the tank. My 55 has 2 AC 70s on it but its not really a planted tank.

My 75 has the XP3 and a Penguin 200 but I don't inject CO2. If I did I'd lose the HOB and get another canister.

If directly under the tank, no problems. I put my Fluval 404 hoses through the wall and the filters in the adjoining room. the extra 3 feet of hoses has reduced flow somewhat (I actually measured it), but the filters are working great. Fluvals can be had for good prices online, beware the LFS 100% markup or more.

I use a Fluval 204 on my 20 gallon and a Rena Filstar XP1 on my 29 gallon. I have pretty much the same media in both of them. I like each one a lot and would recommend them. I did find that the Fluval was much more confusing to set up though, but once you put it together it isn't bad.

I have a Rena XP3 which I cycled on my 55G before moving it to my planted 75G. I love it, have had no leaking problems at all. And maintenance is very easy.

I have a Eheim 2213 on my tank- does an outstanding job for cleaning. The set-up is easy, the instructions are clear, and the prcie off ebay is unbeatable- bought it for 60 dollars brand new...
After having a Fluval, a Rena, and first a Eheim Ecco, I actually say the two Eheims are the finest- easy to clean, min maintenance, and clear instructions. Eheims only need to be cleaned about every two months, and most of the filter media does'nt need to be replaced, so its cheaper over the long run. Just my two cents...

Does anyone have any AQUA ONE's? i have 8 CF1200 and they are great. had them for ova 3 years and havent had to replace a motor yet. just the occtional leaky oring from a tap. Great flow. Great media choices.... Parts are affordable. Easy to clean....

Back
Top Bottom