what type pf cleaner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ditchdoctor81

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've started cleaning the 100g, that I bought used, with vinegar & hot water. It's not too bad to get the green stuff off, but after the green stuff comes off there is a white looking haze (sorry for the crappy description) that seems like it won't come off. I can wipe it off, but when the glass dries the white stuff just comes right back. What on earth can I do to get rid of this? I'm almost to the point of just going & buying a NEW tank & not have to worry about it! Well...I'm not to that extreme yet, but I'm getting pretty close! :)

Thanks for any help in advance.

Jonathon

It is hard water buildup. I have never figured out a way to take it off, but I think there is a thread on this forum about it, and it says how to take it off.

Vinegar will take hardwater off. It is sounding like you may have gotten a tank that someone was a little too aggresive in cleaning and scratched it. If glass you have a lot of buffing to do and even then large scratches are going to remain (cerium oxide is what you want). A lot of plastic polishing compounds for "plastic" tanks.

Zagz said:
Have you tried using a razor blade? Carefully that is.
not yet...I'll try tomorrow thanks.

Vinegar will take hardwater off. It is sounding like you may have gotten a tank that someone was a little too aggresive in cleaning and scratched it. If glass you have a lot of buffing to do and even then large scratches are going to remain (cerium oxide is what you want). A lot of plastic polishing compounds for "plastic" tanks.
I might be wrong, but I don't think it has scratches on it. Just a haze looking stuff. I'll find out tomorrow when I try the razor blade & see if that works.

Thanks everyone :)

When I clean my tanks I use some bleach. I use one cap of bleach to a bucket of water and wash pretty thoroghly and then rinse off real good. I then let it air dry which should get rid of the chlorine but just for safe measure I add dechlorinator and let it run when I fill it up with water. The dechlorinator is really not needed if it air dries but some like to be safe.

Thanks, I tried the razor blade, and now my fish tank is soo much brighter now!!! :D

tropicalfish said:
Thanks, I tried the razor blade, and now my fish tank is soo much brighter now!!! :D

that's good to know....I'll find out tomorrow if it works for me :)

I found a solution to that type of problem. It is called Softscrub, a very mild abrasive kitchen liquid cleaner that will not scratch glass. I also use it regularly to clean a glass top stove. Be sure to rinse it well after wiping it off. You could use vinegar and water to rinse it.

I started cleaning friday & I'm starting to get aggravated. The vinegar & water would clean off the green stuff with no problem, but not the white haze (it would go away, but come right back when it dried). Bleach & water = same thing. Razor blade did nothing on the white haze stuff.

piranha, have you used the softscrub in an aquarium before? Yesterday I got so aggravated that I started calling LFS's pricing new aquariums...I'm back to my normal self now & I'm going to give this one more try & HOPE something works.

Just thought I'd give you all an update. I'm ready to at least see some water & rock in my aquarium instead of AIR!!! :)

DD I have used it on a glass cover and it cleaned the buildup very well. If you have very stubborn staining I would recommend using both the softscrub and new straight-edge razor blades.

Back
Top Bottom