Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-28-2006, 07:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

what type pf cleaner?

I've started cleaning the 100g, that I bought used, with vinegar & hot water. It's not too bad to get the green stuff off, but after the green stuff comes off there is a white looking haze (sorry for the crappy description) that seems like it won't come off. I can wipe it off, but when the glass dries the white stuff just comes right back. What on earth can I do to get rid of this? I'm almost to the point of just going & buying a NEW tank & not have to worry about it! Well...I'm not to that extreme yet, but I'm getting pretty close!

Thanks for any help in advance.

Jonathon

Old 12-28-2006, 07:47 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

It is hard water buildup. I have never figured out a way to take it off, but I think there is a thread on this forum about it, and it says how to take it off.

---
10 Gallon Hexagon
Hagen AquaClear 30, Visi-Therm Deluxe 50, DIY CF 20W 6500K CF, Hagen Natural CO2 System :: Bloodfin Tetra (1), Red-eye Tetra (3), Black Skirt Tetra (3), Harlequin Rasbora (6), Platy (1), Otocinclus Catfish (1) :: Rotala Indica, Hygrophila Difformis (Wisteria), Cabomba Carolinia
---
tropicalfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 07:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

thanks for the encouraging info...lol
Old 12-28-2006, 08:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
Have you tried using a razor blade? Carefully that is.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 08:48 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Vinegar will take hardwater off. It is sounding like you may have gotten a tank that someone was a little too aggresive in cleaning and scratched it. If glass you have a lot of buffing to do and even then large scratches are going to remain (cerium oxide is what you want). A lot of plastic polishing compounds for "plastic" tanks.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:34 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagz
Have you tried using a razor blade? Carefully that is.
not yet...I'll try tomorrow thanks.

Quote:
Vinegar will take hardwater off. It is sounding like you may have gotten a tank that someone was a little too aggresive in cleaning and scratched it. If glass you have a lot of buffing to do and even then large scratches are going to remain (cerium oxide is what you want). A lot of plastic polishing compounds for "plastic" tanks.
I might be wrong, but I don't think it has scratches on it. Just a haze looking stuff. I'll find out tomorrow when I try the razor blade & see if that works.

Thanks everyone
Old 12-28-2006, 10:51 PM   #7
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

When I clean my tanks I use some bleach. I use one cap of bleach to a bucket of water and wash pretty thoroghly and then rinse off real good. I then let it air dry which should get rid of the chlorine but just for safe measure I add dechlorinator and let it run when I fill it up with water. The dechlorinator is really not needed if it air dries but some like to be safe.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 10:59 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

thanks...I'll try that if the razor blade doesn't work
Old 12-28-2006, 11:13 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks, I tried the razor blade, and now my fish tank is soo much brighter now!!!
---
10 Gallon Hexagon
Hagen AquaClear 30, Visi-Therm Deluxe 50, DIY CF 20W 6500K CF, Hagen Natural CO2 System :: Bloodfin Tetra (1), Red-eye Tetra (3), Black Skirt Tetra (3), Harlequin Rasbora (6), Platy (1), Otocinclus Catfish (1) :: Rotala Indica, Hygrophila Difformis (Wisteria), Cabomba Carolinia
---
tropicalfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 12:38 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalfish
Thanks, I tried the razor blade, and now my fish tank is soo much brighter now!!!
that's good to know....I'll find out tomorrow if it works for me

Tags
clean, cleaner

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com