Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-20-2011, 02:51 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I just picked up another 200 Watt to go with the current overworked 200 Watt. That way if one burns out the other should be able to maintain safe temperature until I have a chance to pick up a replacement. I kind of feel better about the heat distribution with two in there anyway.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:46 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I love my electronic fluvals. They come with a screen and are very easy to use. I have 2 right now.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:31 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hm... learned another lesson. I picked up a Fluval "submersible" http://ca-en.hagen.com/Aquatic/Heating/Heaters/A784. However, after further inspection, it's not completely submersible I have to keep it above line X and below line Y. It doesn't fit well in the tank because the bulky head conflicts with the top edge of the tank rim. Plus I prefer to keep the heat source at the bottom Annoying... Guess I'll have to make a trip for an exchange for a completely submersible heater.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:47 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasadell
Hm... learned another lesson. I picked up a Fluval "submersible" http://ca-en.hagen.com/Aquatic/Heating/Heaters/A784. However, after further inspection, it's not completely submersible I have to keep it above line X and below line Y. It doesn't fit well in the tank because the bulky head conflicts with the top edge of the tank rim. Plus I prefer to keep the heat source at the bottom Annoying... Guess I'll have to make a trip for an exchange for a completely submersible heater.
OK help me here...

Dear [Me],
Yes, this heater is fully submersible. You may place the entire unit under water.
Thank you,
[Representative]
Customer Service Dept.
Rolf C. Hagen (USA) Corp.

So, specifically, the packaging says that it is submersible. The paperwork said it is submersible unless I am in US or (CA, I think?). I emailed Hagen (the makers of Fluval) and as you can see form the above email they state that it is submersible. So should I trust them and submerse it completely?
Old 12-22-2011, 12:02 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Apparently in california everything is dangerous, so companies have to put a bunch of warnings on their labels. However, if you don't trust them, just put the heater in a plastic container for an hour to two and see what happens.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:32 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xand3r
Apparently in california everything is dangerous, so companies have to put a bunch of warnings on their labels. However, if you don't trust them, just put the heater in a plastic container for an hour to two and see what happens.
Well, it's been in the tank overnight. I opened a second case for further clarification and this is what they told me.

"The heater is a UL approved unit. Underwriters Laboratory would not approve it unless we put that in the instructions, even though it is submersible. It is not likely that the heater will leak. To prevent damage to the glass, it is important that you unplug the heater 30 minutes before removing it from the water for any reason, and leave it in the water for 30 minutes before plugging it in. If the glass were to crack without your knowledge, it is likely that it will cause harm to the fish unfortunately, but would not start a fire."

I guess I'm going to do it and quit worrying about it.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:23 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would, personally. Ebo Jagers are the same way, and I have several that I have run completely submerged for years now. I think the company's reply is legit. JMO.

BTW, I haven't used the heater that you bought, so would love to hear more about your long term experience with the product. Best of luck with your tank!

severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eat, eater, heater, watt

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com