What WATT heater is required?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Labenator65000

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 55 gallon. Not long ago I picked up a heater that stated it was good for 30-60 gallon. Well, it needs to be cranked up to nearly max in order to keep my tank at 76 o in the cold basement. I'm afraid it may burn out and I won't be able to get a replacement in time. I would like to be able to crank it up to 87 should I get an Ick outbreak, which the current one cannot do. What Wattage of heater should I get for a 55 gallon? I plan to keep the old one in there for redundancy. Thanks in advance!

well whats the wattage of your current heater that should help you out and both heater going at once would help alot too

BHead707 said:
well whats the wattage of your current heater that should help you out and both heater going at once would help alot too

I'm not sure. The box in the store doesn't say and I don't have the paperwork anymore. It's either 200W or 300W. Likely the latter. I'm reading terrible reviews on this particular make of heaters. I may just take it out altogether.

im not sure exactly what wattage you'll need but i use the Aqueon Pro heaters i believe they go up to 250 Watts, but i don't know if that would be enough.

another option is getting say 2x 150 Watt heaters and run them both at the same time, that would give you 300W which is probably enough

edit: just did a quick search. The aqueon pro 200W is rated for up to 75 Gallons so a 250W seems like a good starting point to make sure it has enough power

I have my 55g in the garage here in Central Oregon...night temp is middle teens. I have two 150w heaters in different parts of the tank. If one goes beserk, it will not boil the fish by itself. The garage is insulated so not that cold...low 60's probably.

I have my 55g in the garage here in Central Oregon...night temp is middle teens. I have two 150w heaters in different parts of the tank. If one goes beserk, it will not boil the fish by itself. The garage is insulated so not that cold...low 60's probably.

same for me here in jersey. 2x150s in opposite sides of the tank work well and can't handle the entire tank by itself.

Id Say youd be good a a 250 or 2 150s, ive got a 100Watt in my 29 and have the same Problem. My house isnt always a set temp so im going to get another, mine at max give me a temp of 79... Get on ASAP if you can.

Ive had 2 Ich Break outs from not QT my New Fish... Ive had to treat my Whole tank, buting my Shrimp and plants at risk. Lucky the Second Time ive got the infected one before it got to the rest of my tank. Hes next to me now... in my QT Tank. **** Glowfish...

My general rule of thumb is 1.5 watts per litre of water hasn't let me down so far .

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I just picked up another 200 Watt to go with the current overworked 200 Watt. That way if one burns out the other should be able to maintain safe temperature until I have a chance to pick up a replacement. I kind of feel better about the heat distribution with two in there anyway.

I love my electronic fluvals. They come with a screen and are very easy to use. I have 2 right now.

Hm... learned another lesson. I picked up a Fluval "submersible" http://ca-en.hagen.com/Aquatic/Heating/Heaters/A784. However, after further inspection, it's not completely submersible I have to keep it above line X and below line Y. It doesn't fit well in the tank because the bulky head conflicts with the top edge of the tank rim. Plus I prefer to keep the heat source at the bottom Annoying... Guess I'll have to make a trip for an exchange for a completely submersible heater.

jasadell said:
Hm... learned another lesson. I picked up a Fluval "submersible" http://ca-en.hagen.com/Aquatic/Heating/Heaters/A784. However, after further inspection, it's not completely submersible I have to keep it above line X and below line Y. It doesn't fit well in the tank because the bulky head conflicts with the top edge of the tank rim. Plus I prefer to keep the heat source at the bottom Annoying... Guess I'll have to make a trip for an exchange for a completely submersible heater.

OK help me here...

Dear [Me],
Yes, this heater is fully submersible. You may place the entire unit under water.
Thank you,
[Representative]
Customer Service Dept.
Rolf C. Hagen (USA) Corp.

So, specifically, the packaging says that it is submersible. The paperwork said it is submersible unless I am in US or (CA, I think?). I emailed Hagen (the makers of Fluval) and as you can see form the above email they state that it is submersible. So should I trust them and submerse it completely?

Apparently in california everything is dangerous, so companies have to put a bunch of warnings on their labels. However, if you don't trust them, just put the heater in a plastic container for an hour to two and see what happens.

Xand3r said:
Apparently in california everything is dangerous, so companies have to put a bunch of warnings on their labels. However, if you don't trust them, just put the heater in a plastic container for an hour to two and see what happens.

Well, it's been in the tank overnight. I opened a second case for further clarification and this is what they told me.

"The heater is a UL approved unit. Underwriters Laboratory would not approve it unless we put that in the instructions, even though it is submersible. It is not likely that the heater will leak. To prevent damage to the glass, it is important that you unplug the heater 30 minutes before removing it from the water for any reason, and leave it in the water for 30 minutes before plugging it in. If the glass were to crack without your knowledge, it is likely that it will cause harm to the fish unfortunately, but would not start a fire."

I guess I'm going to do it and quit worrying about it.

I would, personally. Ebo Jagers are the same way, and I have several that I have run completely submerged for years now. I think the company's reply is legit. JMO. :)

BTW, I haven't used the heater that you bought, so would love to hear more about your long term experience with the product. Best of luck with your tank!

Back
Top Bottom