Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-31-2011, 11:29 AM   #11
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan-peddle View Post
Really thats crazy the 10gallon starters here go for 100 plus sounds like it would be easy and cheap to get into the hobby down there and the only kits here have no pump heater thermo or gravel but o well this is why iam asking
Well, if that's the case, maybe what you're asking isn't all that bad then. Obviously, different areas have different costs. Apparently, where I am is one of the cheaper areas. I would just price it at what you're thinking, give it a week or two, if nobody buys, drop the price a little.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:12 PM   #12
come get me tang police!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan-peddle View Post
Really thats crazy the 10gallon starters here go for 100 plus sounds like it would be easy and cheap to get into the hobby down there and the only kits here have no pump heater thermo or gravel but o well this is why iam asking

Lol it's definitely a regional thing. I know here in the states you can often find 10g kits on sale at the big box stores for around 25-35 dollars. Add another 20 or so for accessories and you are at 50-60 bucks. The rule of thumb I go by with used tanks is to expect about 1/4 to 1/2 of what the tank setup cost new. Don't even factor in the accessories as extra $ unless they are really high end (custom lighting, etc), and if someone takes the fish along with it, then that's a bonus.

Also I know around here they are very common, so thats another reason they command such a low price.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:04 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

A 10g tank by it's self is $6.99. Once you add everything up new it may cost you about $50.00. And that's new.
it really is in your best interest to use it as a QT.
Or. if your giving up on the hobby, you can make it a donation to a non profit organization and get a tax write off. You'll get more for it as a tax write off than you ever will in cash.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:40 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

10 gal tanks are really overpriced around here. I can actually get a 29 gal starter kit on sale for less than a 10 gal kit. Even still, you can't get much for a 10 gal here on CL. I recently got one that came with cover, 3 lamps (2 incan. 1 flou.), 2 50 watt heaters, gravel, loads of hideous decor, air pump, air accesories, gravel vac, etc...for $20. I thought it was a great deal though, personally. The flou. lamp alone would have cost me $40 to run out and buy new locally!
Old 05-31-2011, 01:41 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendiDell
A 10g tank by it's self is $6.99. Once you add everything up new it may cost you about $50.00. And that's new.
it really is in your best interest to use it as a QT.
Or. if your giving up on the hobby, you can make it a donation to a non profit organization and get a tax write off. You'll get more for it as a tax write off than you ever will in cash.
A 10 gallon tank by itself here is 49.99 by itself at walmart
Old 05-31-2011, 02:30 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

WOW
Old 05-31-2011, 02:40 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

In Australia, a standard 55 gallon cost 400+
Old 05-31-2011, 02:51 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Check craigslist or something comparable up there and do a search and see what the price range is in comparison to what you're selling. Main thing in listing anything is hitting the key points of what you have. Clean setup, cycled, nice betta (right?) and it's ready to go. Tell them you'll even give them a link to a great forum that will help them out .

I'm looking at a 55g with stand for $40 right now and there's some yahoo trying to sell a junky 10g (not even close to what you have) for $50, so prices vary widely.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:07 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpet
Check craigslist or something comparable up there and do a search and see what the price range is in comparison to what you're selling. Main thing in listing anything is hitting the key points of what you have. Clean setup, cycled, nice betta (right?) and it's ready to go. Tell them you'll even give them a link to a great forum that will help them out .

I'm looking at a 55g with stand for $40 right now and there's some yahoo trying to sell a junky 10g (not even close to what you have) for $50, so prices vary widely.
Ok I think compatibles in my area will be the best way to judge cause prices are all over the place here I just sold one 10 gallon in about 1 hour for 30 without fish or stand so I think iam priced good at 50 Tanks for all the advise
Old 05-31-2011, 03:11 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpet

What!!! 40 dollars for a 55 with stand!! Omg here with stand, inbuilt filter it's over 600

Tags
10 gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com