Whats a good canister? Fluval FX5?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyBusiness

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I need much more filtration for my 90g and was thinking the FX5? The price tag is kinda high but I want that size or slightly smaller because I'd like to upgrade to a much larger tank in a few years. Any other good canister suggestions?

I don't but I'm going to follow this thread. I'll be getting a 125g soon and I'll be in the same boat.

I have a 90 gallon with a FX5 on it. I am very happy with this filter. It has lots of flow and it can hold lots of filter media. Based on my year of owning one I would say go for it!

Currently I'm running an AquaClear 110 and I love it but I have Mbuna Cichlids and 2 pictus cats so my stocking level is about 150% and I don't think a 2nd AC will cover my bio load. I think I'll do more research on the FX5 but not wanting to pay close to $300 however was looking for something close to $200. You get what you pay for right? Any other canisters recommended?

I have the fx5 on my 75 gallon mixed African Cichlid tank and I love it. It's my go with a canister and it's just amazing. Mind you though I have no experience with any other canister. But it sure keeps things moving and clean.

6 months of using the FX5 and I think it's fantastic. Currently have it on a 56g. If you can afford one, go for it. I'll be moving mine over to a 120g in a few months which is why I bought it for my 56.

ive had 405's 305's and the fx5 all on various tank sizes. ive even run marineland emperor 400 pros and the aqualclear 70's.

seeing as how you are asking about canister filters ill stick to that and what i know. for each of those filters i filled with nothing but the foam that came with them and filled the rest of the filter up with the fluval bio media. ive also run each of the canisters with eheim bio media. the fluval fx5 will hold the eheim media with the only concern being the smaller of the round "beeds" may fall through the bottom tray. if you do get the fx5 it filters really well which means as much of a pain it is to clean this canister filter it is a necessity to avoid excessive nitrates. another simple "mod" is to replace the stock return nozzle with a pvc street 90 to reduce restriction. i think it was a 3/4" fitting but dont quote me. that piece just slides into the rubber fitting at the end of the hose in place of the stock nozzle.

i picked up my fx5 off ebay for 250. not cheap but if you watch all the auctions someone is always selling one for around that price.

its a great filter. moves the water well and does a great job. i read a web site that compared the fx5 to an eheim canister of similar stats. they found the eheim was biologically better filtration but didnt say by how much or it was marginal enough not to mention. the fx5 had better mechanical filtration according to them. again they didnt say by how much. thats why i paired the eheim bio media with the fluval...

hth

I love my fx5

Attachments

• image-2159159856.jpg
    image-2159159856.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 105
I read about the FX5 today and want one really bad. But........I have a 100 gallon planted tank and from what I read it really puts out some water. You think it could be tamed down without closing it's return valve some. Maybe three returns, spraybar, etc.
I have been using a Ocean Clear filter for over ten years. My pump may supply 300 gph. Could use a little more movement in the tank.

im not a fan of restricting the pump with the valves. its hard on the motor. your right they do move the water. a spray bar would really help calm it down. unfortunately they dont make any. do it yourself and you would have a good solution.

I've never had a canister. I know how they operate (somewhat) and have no idea how to clean them. I guess that's what instructions and YouTube are for lol. I've always used HOB's. I wouldn't mind another HOB to work with my AC but I don't think any are powerful enough for what I need. I'm actually nervous about getting a canister. Don't know why, prob because I've never had one(?)...

Spray bar with PVC easy fix. The next best thing would be make a sump or buy one. I have a FX5 on a 75 and there easy to clean. I think i got mine for $250 from that pet place. You really juat have to shop around.

Back
Top Bottom