Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-05-2011, 02:47 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sumps for FW is good if you have fish that produce a lot of waste because it helps dilute (probably better to have gotten a bigger tank though). I've been thinking about getting a trickle system too, but its just way too expensive. If you get one of these, then it will be impossible to grow plants (other than simple java moss and ferns) because the water is just way too oxygenated from the trickle. There are other ways to use a sump very effectively with plants though, but you can't have the trickle system.

The filter socks/pads won't get clogged if you rinse it as needed. They will act as a really good mechanical filter if you take a 5sec inspection for waste everyday.

I like to keep things simple and canisters are good viable options for big tanks. Since you have a free Oceanic filter, then just use it if you don't already have a good filtration system.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:38 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

I bought an FX5 on amazon for about $209 shipped. They offer various packages with included media for a bit more.
It seems to work great so far on my Oceanson 155g planted FW setup. Been running six weeks to date.
Big.
Quiet.

Old 11-08-2011, 02:20 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Togliat
I bought an FX5 on amazon for about $209 shipped. They offer various packages with included media for a bit more.
It seems to work great so far on my Oceanson 155g planted FW setup. Been running six weeks to date.
Big.
Quiet.
Kool I think my mind is made up after watching it on you tube fx5 has no competition also if I ever wanted to upgrade I'll be fine with it.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:17 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Just be advised that it does have a pretty significant flow. (as indicated earlier in this thread)
You can see videos on YouTube.
My Angels seem ok, and stay away from the output nozzles. Angels are not terribly efficient swimmers.
The red tail rasboras play in the current for a while, then swim away to other areas.
My tank is on the large side, at 155 gallons, 60 long and rather tall.
The FX5 is supposed to be good for tanks up to 400 gallons.
I don't think that kind of strong flow makes sense for small tanks, although I agree that you can't really over-filter an aquarium.
OTOH, most posters here seem to adhere to the "buy the next size up" theory of canister filters.

If I had a 75 or 90, I would consider stepping down the FX5 canister filter to another model with a lower flow rate.

And I would consider it unsuitable for smaller tanks, personally.

You mention "mostly angels," hence my cautionary note.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:34 AM   #15

If you turn the output nozzle around and point both outputs along the back of the tank it creates a good overall flow without blasting the fish all over the place, definitely not overkill.

I have two Fluval 405s (one step down from FX5) on my 75 and wish I had the FX5.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:02 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thinking about leaving my angels in the 45 and get African cichlid for the 75 the fx 5 might just work out. Also I have Marineland Penguin Power Filter, 50 to 70-Gallon, 350 GPH
MarineLand
(46)
Would that be efficient enough?
Old 11-08-2011, 02:40 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Sounds like a good plan to me. I also agree that turning the FX5 nozzles is a great idea.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:59 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I got 2 70 gallon filters going I gotta get the. And of the. But I always had crystal clear water !!!

Tags
5 gallon, 75 gallon, filter, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com