Whats the best fluval 405 set up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Banana mouse

Aquarium Advice Freak
THis is my fluval set up at the moment:

Top tray: filter floss (replaced weekly)
Fluval biomax
Jbl peat pellets
Fluval pre filter.

The bit that sucks the water out the tank I stuck a small cheap sponge in there to catch the big debre and I remove that everyday and it does a great job.

Thats my set up what would be the best order to have that in?
Would it be best to move everything up one and have the filter floss on the bottom to prevent the filter getting clogged up? Or move it so it's above the pre filter?

I put floss in my lowest basket on my 206. I never rated their pre filter as i found most debris passing through to the next stages. I think floss at the bottom does an excellent job and my other baskets only have trace ammounts of solids there.

I'll move it to the bottom then :) what is the pre filter good for then? Other then doing a bad job at collecting small debre?

Banana mouse said:
I'll move it to the bottom then :) what is the pre filter good for then? Other then doing a bad job at collecting small debre?

I'm assuming its the ceramic rings pre filter? Fluval have also started to add a black sponge (not a carbon pne) to the bottom baskets of the 06 models. I think its as bad as the pre filter, didnt trap solids. I just dont use either for anything, unless i ever ran put of media, unlikely, just my opinion.

Yeah I do strongly agree with you I don't see the pre filter doing anything, it's only when I started to add the filter floss I noticed a difference in the coloration of my fish and the debre in my tank.

Last question, I'm replacing my filter with an 406 I'm doing this at the end of the year, because it comes with free biomax should I put the fluval pre filter aside and use the bio max instead?

Filter floss should be the LAST thing the water passes through. If it's near the beginning, your filter will clog sooner and lead to reduced flow. Your mechanical filtration should always go from coarse to finest filtration.

I replace it weekly and I have the money to replace it twice a week. It's only £3 to fill 1 tray with the stuff.

You should only have to crack open a canister filter monthly at best. It's mostly just a pain in the butt to have to service it so often (priming, bubbles, etc).

I'm 15 and I have a lot of free time on my hands :p I honestly don't mind doing this :)

Banana mouse said:
Yeah I do strongly agree with you I don't see the pre filter doing anything, it's only when I started to add the filter floss I noticed a difference in the coloration of my fish and the debre in my tank.

Last question, I'm replacing my filter with an 406 I'm doing this at the end of the year, because it comes with free biomax should I put the fluval pre filter aside and use the bio max instead?

My baskets go filter wool (bottom) the next 2 basets have biomax in each. The new 06 models have a fine polishing pad to put under uour media on the upper basket, its a nice touch! I have never experienced my filter clogging prematurley by putting filter floss/ wool at the bottom. But that works for me.

My baskets go filter wool (bottom) the next 2 basets have biomax in each. The new 06 models have a fine polishing pad to put under uour media on the upper basket, its a nice touch! I have never experienced my filter clogging prematurley by putting filter floss/ wool at the bottom. But that works for me.

Same here.... I do filter floss in the bottom basket. Mechanical filtration before biologic, that way detritus isn't plugging up my Biomax.

I didn't say my tank has 7 barbs and 5 ottos, so there isn't a lot of mess. Because I put a little floss/ sponge in the intake thing it collects about 90% of the big debre and about 30% of the small debre. So I don't need to worry about it getting clogged :)

Banana mouse said:
I didn't say my tank has 7 barbs and 5 ottos, so there isn't a lot of mess. Because I put a little floss/ sponge in the intake thing it collects about 90% of the big debre and about 30% of the small debre. So I don't need to worry about it getting clogged :)

I'd never heard pf sponge in the intake before untill i joined this forum. Do you place it in the intake strainer before the ball in the intake tube?

In the little plastic thing, so before the ball. I use a sponge or the floss but floss is far more affective with all debre

I'll move it to the bottom on Monday. Iv read the magazine that came with the fluval saying the three stages so I have more of an understanding of it so I'm going to move my fluval media around this is the new one.

Top tray fluval biomax
Jbl peat pellets
Fluval pre filter
Filter floss (changed weekly maybe twice a week.)

Btw if you use the floss just make sure it doesn't go into the tubes And if you don't get clean them can really slow down the filter, so just change them or clean them. Really glad we could help each other :)

Banana mouse said:
I'll move it to the bottom on Monday. Iv read the magazine that came with the fluval saying the three stages so I have more of an understanding of it so I'm going to move my fluval media around this is the new one.

Top tray fluval biomax
Jbl peat pellets
Fluval pre filter
Filter floss (changed weekly maybe twice a week.)

Yeah, that would work! I only change my floss pnce month, i suppose it keeps some bb in it as well as acting ss mechanical filtration. I have sometimes kust squeezed it out in my old tank water snd reused. Yeah, glad we could help! :)

Back
Top Bottom