Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-06-2005, 03:17 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Whats the best way to setup an AC500 + Fluval 204? (55g)

OK, Ive never even owned a canister filter, so bare with me here. Im setting up my 55g for a Malawi tank, and I already own a pretty new AC500. I plan on having 12 cichlids and 2'ish bottom feeders. And yes, this will be a VERY planted tank.

So, Question #1: Is adding a Fluval204 or comparable canister even worth the money I'd spend on it? (And does fluval204 sound like a good idea, or should I check out something different?)

Question #2: If I do add a canister filter, whats the best way to set up a big HOB (like an AC500) with a canister?? Have the HOB at one end, and the canister extract/input hoses on the other end of the tank?

Question #3: With canisters like a fluval, is it possible to put the 2 different hoses wherever you want in your tank? Like could I have extraction on one end and input on the other end, in order to create some basic current??

As always, any help is sincerely appreciated!!

cgcaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 03:29 AM   #2
You are not going to need both (or want the added hoses, wires, cost, and maint.), so either stick with the AC500 or get a 304, the 204 is too weak for your tank.

55 gallon, fluval, setup, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com