What's the funny noise?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FizzPop06

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a Cascade canister filter (700 series I believe) filtering my 55 gallon turtle tank and a couple weeks ago it started making a funny noise. I thought it was just super dirty and needed to be cleaned. I cleaned the filter and found some sand in it (there is sand on the bottom of the tank and I think it was sucked up when my female decided she wanted to burrow and kick up sand) so I tried to get it as clean as I could. When I plugged it back in and got the water going I still heard the noise, not nearly as loud now but still there. I miss my quite filter!! I think there might be sand in the bearing or the wheel, but I'm not sure. I was wondering is there a way to take the top apart without completely destroying it? I would like to get in there and give it a nice cleaning to see if I can get the noise to stop and to also prevent it from further damage... but as it's a $150 filter, I don't want to break it. Especially since my turtles are full of poop and leaving the water unfiltered for an extended period of time would result in a fungal infection and lord knows what else.... Can anyone give me some good tips on getting the top nice and clean?? Or how to get the sand out? I flushed it til the water coming out was clear, but like I said, the noise is still happening so I don't think it's all out. :facepalm:

Please and thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom