Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-23-2005, 09:34 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist
If the tank it completely empty there is heavy flow of water in it and the UV circulation pump is tuned exactly in conformity with the sterilizer's ratings, it will have a positive impact on control of both algae and parasites. But the fact is, no one keeps a tank that way. It ranges from the bubbling treasure chest to the reef loaded with live rock and coral. So long as there is a crevice in the tank where the spore can wind up without going through the UV the UV has limited value. I have one on my reef but it's just a security blanket that I bought in the setting up process. Do I really believe it makes a difference....to a very limited degree.

Something's gotta go wrong cause I'm feeling way too **** good.
Avi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 11:25 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic
15w current-usa with a maxi (mini) 606. Its been in the 75G tank now for 2 days. The algea (In conjunction with a PhosBan reactor, been in there for about 3 months) is finally starting to decline *very* noticeably. I can not speak for the parasite control via uv light via experience but have read a good deal about various marine illness involving closed systems. It stands to reason that since an organisim must come in contact with the 'light' with an exposure time long enough to do serious damage, then it will never be successful in curing a tank of any parasite. However, I have read several posts on this forum which touts the control of ich through uv sterilizaiton. Is it a waste, I personally do not think so. Will it cure ich, cotton, flukes, etc? Don't see how it can be cured by this device (Or any other device, less its a pump emptying the tank ). Treatment of the animal is needed and purging the system of the parasite as best you can is the only path it seems to ridding the parasites. Of course non coral/invert keepers can use meds. (Copper, etc)

To fail to plan is to plan to fail.
MarineFlake is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com