What's this venturi thing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gmac

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a Fluval 3+ Underwater Filter. When I was setting up the filter there is the main nozzle and above that there is a little hole which has a plastic cap that I can block it with if I want. I also got I think it was a Venturi thing? which I can put into it instead and allows me to turn it and change the speed I think that way. I'm not sure why it is there though? Why have a stopper for it and a venturi turning thing?

Many thanks.

a venturi is the act of mixing two items together (in our case usually air and water) by having one of the two move quickly over top of the other.

Basicly how it works is the venturi turning thing goes into that hole. As water shoots past the hole it will pull air into the turning thing and down into the water stream and the end result is a mixture of air and water. The turning part allows you to 'tune' the amount of air in the mixture.

If you do not wish to mix air with the water then the little cap is provided to plug up the small hole.

here is a better general definition.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=venturi&r=67

YOu have the definition of a venturi a little wrong. Right idea but here is the physics behind it

Venturies are used in many applications. One big one is in carborators especially on small engines.

The basic principal of it is this. Something is flowign through a passage. It could be water or air. A venture is when the passage is restricted, normally by tapering down the area through which the air or water can travel. By tapering down the area the fluid has to speed up to get past that area. At the same time the pricipals of fluids states tha when the veloicity or speed increases the pressure at that poitn decreases.

So in a carborator you have air traveling through a venturi. As it speeds up there is a pressure drop on the other side of the venturi. SO that is where they attach teh fuel like. And the fuel is automatically sucked into the mix due to the low pressure.

See easy.

Excuse me! I dont have a degree in fluid dynamics. Oh and that link to the definition is not MINE.

I am a mechanical engineer so I basically have a degree in things like fluid dynamics. Sorry. YPu are not all as gifted as I.

There is nothing wrong with the way I write or speak. I probably write and speak better than half the English majors out there. I might have a few deficiencies when it comes to spelling or grammar, but in the end at least you can understand me when I say something.

Oh and hey I was just explaining the Venturi thing in greater detail. Like I said you were on the right path just not totally right. Figured I could add some info to the discussion so I did.

And like I said you are not a mechanical engineer. I know you want to be just like me but not all of us are this pretty.

Thanks,

It’s a joke BTW. I come here cause I know little about fish. I know some but I need support like many others.

Back
Top Bottom