Whats up with my rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheOscar

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've has these river rocks in several tanks in the past.. Recently that have like rust on them.. I removed,, just wondering what causes this

Attachments

• image-3904549032.jpg
    image-3904549032.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 88
Decorative Rocks in Tanks

I've has these river rocks in several tanks in the past.. Recently that have like rust on them.. I removed,, just wondering what causes this

Hello The...

I use the vinegar test on the rocks I put into my tanks. This one may not be safe to use. Let the piece dry. Then, put a few drops of vinegar on it. If there's a reaction of any kind, then don't use it. If there's no change, then rinse it well and if you want, put it back into the tank.

B

Ok, will do. I'm assuming some rocks have higher metallic properties ? I'm really loving pulling from nature , I know it's risky , but there's something about using natural decor you've found.. Anyway.. Thanks for your help

Nope, feels like all the others.. They all came from the same place

If there was a lot of iron I would expect it to feel quite heavy. If it was metallic or magnetic this would be the case.

Hmm, I had wondered if it was iron rich and this was rusting out - is it only on the darker rocks? These would be more likely to be iron-rich.

Actually it is in the darker ones.. I'm just going to toss them and find more.. Kind of silly to take a chance over some rocks .. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom