wheeled trash can for water changes - 32 or 45?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hbeth82

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I know people use trashcans to store water for PWC and some have mentioned getting them on wheels. Looking into getting either the Rubbermaid Roughneck 32gal or 45 gal, both with wheels. My concern is that since the weight of the water will be far more than what typical garbage cans are intended for (15lbs of kitchen scraps and paper vs 250+lbs of water), how well do the wheels hold up?

Also, I don't necessarily need the volume of the 45gal but the wheels appear to be much sturdier than those of the 32gal - almost like comparing wheels on wheelbarrow to those on an office chair.

Anybody have experience with either of these or know of something that works better?

Thanks!

I honestly don't think it'd be the wheels that you'd have to worry about. I think you're much more likely to drop it/the handle will break before the wheels do. Also, as soon as you dip the can over to get it on the wheels, the water will rush toward the handle and make it hard to hold in general. I think it'd be easier to simply have a dolly with locking wheels under a regular trashcan. I know then have trash can dollys cause I've seen them before.

Somethin like this...
continental-3255-trashcan-dolly.jpg

Just my two cents.

We use a 32G Brute. The walls of a typical garbage can aren't necessarily built to hold the weight of a large amount of water.

That makes sense. The funny thing is I think the things I mentioned are made more for industrial trash cans like the one you mentioned.

Thanks for the suggestions, was actually what my boyfriend had been suggesting. How do you keep the trashcan on the dolly? My kitchen is laminate flooring but the rest of my apartment is carpet & where the 2 meet is a pretty big bump to cross with 250+lbs of water.

The wheeled platform actually fits and "snaps" into the bottom of the can. Take a look at HD or lowes. It will make sense as soon as you see it.

So those things are kinda universal, to fit the bottom of most trashcans around that same size? Awesome, may still try to reinforce it with bungee cords but feeling better about this idea. Thanks!

Check out US Plastics. They are an industrial supplier but I have bought quite a few products from them. e.g. platic coated 24" stirring rod for a drill to mix gallon of sw quickly; 5 gallon plastic liners for those cracked salt buckets, 1 gallon jugs with pumps for Ca and Alk dosing, 10 ml collection cups (100 of them), etc. Great resource. Also, you can ask your local Lowes to specail order any Rubbermaid product. Btw, ALL Rubbermaid BRUTE products are food grade and therefore great for aquarium use.

This makes me feel dumb, live about 30 miles from this place, see it fairly often, but never crossed my mind! Their price for BRUTE cans looks pretty steep though, are they that much most places? Only seen Roughnecks lately. Thanks!

You should be able to get the BRUTE at Lowes. You can always show them the model you want and ask them to order for you too though that might work better at your local ACE hardware store.

Back
Top Bottom