When do I want HID?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lectraplayer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I keep wondering if I want HID but can't find exactly what I have been looking for. I am thinking about two or three 70 watt halides for my 29 gallon (planted) tank which is 30 inches long. Closest I found so far is this:

Odyssea Metal Halide System

This raises several questions... One is what the most common application is for HID. Another is where to find the bulbs I want without searching a year and paying my butt for them. Also, how bright is too bright for freshwater fish and plants?

Why HID on a 29g? Most of the time HID's are used on extremely deep tanks. The heat, elec. usage and bulb replacement costs are not needed on such a small tank. Look at Build My LED's Ultra High Light XB series if you want that high light for a 29g. Probably cheaper too. OS.

That's part of what I was wondering. I personally would rather not have greater than 150 watts of (fluorescent equivalent) light. I do know the "regular" halides outperform "regular" CFLs and they cost less than some. The only things these CFL's have on halides is that they can be quickly switched on and off.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom