Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-27-2012, 10:08 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

When to replace metal halide lights?

Hi everyone just wondering when metal halides should be replaced. I recently lost my large hammer coral at a very fast rate (3-4days) and was wondering how quickly will these lights cause a coral to die. My other corals not extending as much either. Wondering if it could be the lights.
Parameters
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-0
Phos-0
Salinity-1.024
Ph-7.8--8 depending on time of day.
The tank is 10 months old.
Thanks

Old 12-27-2012, 10:16 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal A View Post
Hi everyone just wondering when metal halides should be replaced. I recently lost my large hammer coral at a very fast rate (3-4days) and was wondering how quickly will these lights cause a coral to die. My other corals not extending as much either. Wondering if it could be the lights.
Parameters
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-0
Phos-0
Salinity-1.024
Ph-7.8--8 depending on time of day.
The tank is 10 months old.
Thanks
Bulbs likely not the cause but mh bulbs depending on how long their on each day i change mine every 9 months

Old 12-27-2012, 11:58 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Ya I keep mine on for 8hrs in a day. I figured it was getting around the time to change them. I'm just trying to figure out how that hammer coral literally disentigrated that fast! I had one head dye off on it from a crab picking at it but it took weeks. This literally happened in a matter of 3-4 days. That was the very first coral I got.

How about a nem how fast will it kill a coral? It has been fairly close to the hammer for months with no ill effect. When I downsized my ph it move a bit closer so I wonder if that did it. Very frustrating.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:10 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal A View Post
Ya I keep mine on for 8hrs in a day. I figured it was getting around the time to change them. I'm just trying to figure out how that hammer coral literally disentigrated that fast! I had one head dye off on it from a crab picking at it but it took weeks. This literally happened in a matter of 3-4 days. That was the very first coral I got.

How about a nem how fast will it kill a coral? It has been fairly close to the hammer for months with no ill effect. When I downsized my ph it move a bit closer so I wonder if that did it. Very frustrating.
Ya your params look good so hard to say really it could be the nem im not real sure how fast a nem could kill a coral im assuming if it stings it it could probably happen quickly idk thats why i dont keep a nem i really like them but they grow big split and are aggressive although i think my platinum clowns would look sweet hosting a rainbow bt
Old 12-27-2012, 02:20 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I got the nem for the clowns and they haven't gone anywhere near the thing! Oh well give it some time, change the lights and then go from there. Hope I don't lose more coral darn it. Thanks

Tags
halide, light, lights, metal, metal halide

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com