When to replace metal halide lights?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crystal A

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi everyone just wondering when metal halides should be replaced. I recently lost my large hammer coral at a very fast rate (3-4days) and was wondering how quickly will these lights cause a coral to die. My other corals not extending as much either. Wondering if it could be the lights.
Parameters
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-0
Phos-0
Salinity-1.024
Ph-7.8--8 depending on time of day.
The tank is 10 months old.
Thanks

Hi everyone just wondering when metal halides should be replaced. I recently lost my large hammer coral at a very fast rate (3-4days) and was wondering how quickly will these lights cause a coral to die. My other corals not extending as much either. Wondering if it could be the lights.
Parameters
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-0
Phos-0
Salinity-1.024
Ph-7.8--8 depending on time of day.
The tank is 10 months old.
Thanks

Bulbs likely not the cause but mh bulbs depending on how long their on each day i change mine every 9 months

Ya I keep mine on for 8hrs in a day. I figured it was getting around the time to change them. I'm just trying to figure out how that hammer coral literally disentigrated that fast! I had one head dye off on it from a crab picking at it but it took weeks. This literally happened in a matter of 3-4 days. That was the very first coral I got. :(

How about a nem how fast will it kill a coral? It has been fairly close to the hammer for months with no ill effect. When I downsized my ph it move a bit closer so I wonder if that did it. Very frustrating.

Ya I keep mine on for 8hrs in a day. I figured it was getting around the time to change them. I'm just trying to figure out how that hammer coral literally disentigrated that fast! I had one head dye off on it from a crab picking at it but it took weeks. This literally happened in a matter of 3-4 days. That was the very first coral I got. :(

How about a nem how fast will it kill a coral? It has been fairly close to the hammer for months with no ill effect. When I downsized my ph it move a bit closer so I wonder if that did it. Very frustrating.

Ya your params look good so hard to say really it could be the nem im not real sure how fast a nem could kill a coral im assuming if it stings it it could probably happen quickly idk thats why i dont keep a nem i really like them but they grow big split and are aggressive although i think my platinum clowns would look sweet hosting a rainbow bt

I got the nem for the clowns and they haven't gone anywhere near the thing! Oh well give it some time, change the lights and then go from there. Hope I don't lose more coral darn it. Thanks :)

Back
Top Bottom