When to Treat New Water With Python?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texaspepper

Aquarium Advice Regular
So, I got tired of lugging buckets to change out my three tanks, and invested in a python. But I have to treat my tap water before putting in the tanks... my question is... knowing how many gallons I am taking out, do I pour the required treatment into the tank before I add the new water, and risk a too high concentration of conditioner until it is diluted... or do I refill the tank and then dump in the conditioner, and risk hurting the fish with untreated water??
What to do, what to do??? Python owners???? thanks for your input!!! :thanks:

What I do with prime is dose for the entire volume of the tank, then fill it up using the python. So for my 29 gallon i use enough prime to treat 29 gallons, not just the amount I've removed.

Sake said:
What I do with prime is dose for the entire volume of the tank, then fill it up using the python. So for my 29 gallon i use enough prime to treat 29 gallons, not just the amount I've removed.

^^^ This

I dose for only the amount of water I'm replacing and then refill with the python.

Make sure you dose for the total amount of water.

Why? If you remove 10 gallons in a 30 gallon tank for example, you putting back in 10 gallons of water with chlorine, not 30.

I know it won't hurt anything to add more than needed. It's just a waste of money IMO. I've always added conditioner to replace only the water taken out.

I could maybe dosing for the whole tank if the condition you're using has slime coat in it, but I rarely use that. I've never had a fish get sick/stressed due to a water change and I don't handle the fish so no need for stress coat.

From what I've seen in the various forums I belong to, it's really a 50/50 split as to those who dose for the tank volume and those who dose for the amount they are replacing.

I do it just because the bottle says so, that's the advice I've been given, and I always do more than required. If I have 3 gallons in my bucket, I'll dose for 5 gallons just to be safe. Always put a bit more in there than required.

rastoma said:
Why? If you remove 10 gallons in a 30 gallon tank for example, you putting back in 10 gallons of water with chlorine, not 30.

I know it won't hurt anything to add more than needed. It's just a waste of money IMO. I've always added conditioner to replace only the water taken out.

I could maybe dosing for the whole tank if the condition you're using has slime coat in it, but I rarely use that. I've never had a fish get sick/stressed due to a water change and I don't handle the fish so no need for stress coat.

Because that's just how I've been doing it from day 1 and never had any issues and that's what the directions say. Not saying my way is better then someone else's or the directions from the company are spot on. But either way its not going hurt.

Just like you said. You've been doing it one way and I've been doing it another. Perfect example of 2 different ways working :)

I fill my aquarium back up threw the python then add my dechlor. I have rams and a few delicates and never have experienced a death or problem. Maybe not traditional, but I don't feel it's going to hurt them. oh and I should mention I do this with 1/4 water changes only.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so much, everyone, for your input... my 10-gal., 20-gal. and 29-gal. tanks have been wearing me out lugging out the old in cat litter buckets and lugging back the new in gallon bottled water jugs, so I am really looking forward to using the python... I just wanted to make sure I was doing it right.. don't want to stress anybody in any of the tanks!! thank you thank you thank you... :fish1: and my finned family thanks you also!!! :fish1::thanks:

The reason for adding the full tank size amount of dechlor is to be sure that when the new water enters, it will instantly(well, sooner) make contact with the dechlor. Adding it after filling is too late for it to do much good, as the chlorine will already be neutralized. So, why add dechlor you ask? Chlorine will react with organic compounds in the tank water by oxidization, which will essentially burn up the chlorine and make some new compounds in the process. Some of these compounds are very undesirable, such as tri-methyl halides.
Chloramine may not be as reactive as straight chlorine, but the effect should be similar.

Back
Top Bottom