Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-03-2010, 12:52 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Where is a good online place to buy tanks?

I swear, people don't keep fish in Boise. Are any places decent online to buy tanks? 50-75 gallons?

Old 04-03-2010, 02:23 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can try Craigs List. There have been tanks on there for sale.

Old 04-03-2010, 01:50 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

This is probably a dumn question, but is there a difference between a saltwater tank and freshwater if I were to buy off a place like Craigslist? The stores here are very limited.

I'm looking for a 40-50 gallon tank right now. I don't need a sump tank for that right? So am I right in saying that the tank doesn't matter what it was used for before as long as it holds water and is clean?
Old 04-03-2010, 01:55 PM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

55 gallon tank is a good one to start with. They are also easy to find. There are such things as reef ready tanks. They have holes drilled in them that go to the sump and the other one is a return. If you are not going to use a sump then any tank will do. Is this going to be a SW tank.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 03:39 PM   #5
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

55 gallon tanks are a dime a dozen, my biggest problem with them is that they dont leave alot of room for aquascaping because they're so narrow. a 75g is the same tank, only its deeper from front to back, and has a much better footprint for scaping. You should be able to easily find a 55g for around $100 on craigslist

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 05:36 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

well used is a cheaper way to go. most lfs should be able to order larger tanks if they dont have htem in stock.

Aqueon Store Locator Search Results
Old 04-04-2010, 02:27 PM   #7
is back to save the day!

Yeah.. i agree with rookie on the 55G tanks. Some people like that slim footprint that the 55G tank provides, but i've heard more people complaining about it then not. Including myself. I hated my 55G tank because it was so tall, and so thin. It gave me almost no room to do the type of aquascaping that i really wanted to do. If anything, look for a 50G tank.. or a 50G/40G Breeder style tank. Those tanks have the best footprints IMO. They're 3ft in length, generally shallow, and are wide.

Try glasscages.com They make some pretty good tanks from what i hear, and they have a couple drop-off points to where they will either ship the tanks for a fee, or they will bring the ordered tanks with them to conventions that they go to, which happens to be all over the country. They were just in my state a few days ago, i think last sunday. But they are mainly stationed in Tenessee so.. Yeah. I would say CL or an order from an LFS like mgamer said, would be your best bet to finding the tank that is right for you.
Old 04-04-2010, 02:28 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

For SW you will want a sump sooner rather than later. If you can find a RR (reef ready i.e pre-drilled) tank you will be better off in the long run. If you're a DIYer you can drill the back of the tank yourself. Another option is to use an overflow box hanging on the back of the tank.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 03:45 PM   #9
is back to save the day!

Yeah, sumps aren't recommended.. but they are great to have on any tank. I was kicking myself in the butt when i had my sumpless 55G. I had heaters, filters, skimmers, and all that nonsense inside of the main tank, which left me little room to do what i wanted to with my rocks. Plus.. having all that equipment in the tank makes the tank look un natural and kind of ugly. I'm doing a sump for my second tank now.
Old 04-04-2010, 04:16 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to Aquarium1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 View Post
Yeah, sumps aren't recommended.. but they are great to have on any tank.
you mean required? lol

Aquarium1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com