Where is a good online place to buy tanks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BonnieC

Aquarium Advice Activist
I swear, people don't keep fish in Boise. Are any places decent online to buy tanks? 50-75 gallons?

This is probably a dumn question, but is there a difference between a saltwater tank and freshwater if I were to buy off a place like Craigslist? The stores here are very limited.

I'm looking for a 40-50 gallon tank right now. I don't need a sump tank for that right? So am I right in saying that the tank doesn't matter what it was used for before as long as it holds water and is clean?

55 gallon tank is a good one to start with. They are also easy to find. There are such things as reef ready tanks. They have holes drilled in them that go to the sump and the other one is a return. If you are not going to use a sump then any tank will do. Is this going to be a SW tank.

55 gallon tanks are a dime a dozen, my biggest problem with them is that they dont leave alot of room for aquascaping because they're so narrow. a 75g is the same tank, only its deeper from front to back, and has a much better footprint for scaping. You should be able to easily find a 55g for around $100 on craigslist

Yeah.. i agree with rookie on the 55G tanks. Some people like that slim footprint that the 55G tank provides, but i've heard more people complaining about it then not. Including myself. I hated my 55G tank because it was so tall, and so thin. It gave me almost no room to do the type of aquascaping that i really wanted to do. If anything, look for a 50G tank.. or a 50G/40G Breeder style tank. Those tanks have the best footprints IMO. They're 3ft in length, generally shallow, and are wide.

Try glasscages.com They make some pretty good tanks from what i hear, and they have a couple drop-off points to where they will either ship the tanks for a fee, or they will bring the ordered tanks with them to conventions that they go to, which happens to be all over the country. They were just in my state a few days ago, i think last sunday. But they are mainly stationed in Tenessee so.. Yeah. I would say CL or an order from an LFS like mgamer said, would be your best bet to finding the tank that is right for you.

For SW you will want a sump sooner rather than later. If you can find a RR (reef ready i.e pre-drilled) tank you will be better off in the long run. If you're a DIYer you can drill the back of the tank yourself. Another option is to use an overflow box hanging on the back of the tank.

Yeah, sumps aren't recommended.. but they are great to have on any tank. I was kicking myself in the butt when i had my sumpless 55G. I had heaters, filters, skimmers, and all that nonsense inside of the main tank, which left me little room to do what i wanted to with my rocks. Plus.. having all that equipment in the tank makes the tank look un natural and kind of ugly. I'm doing a sump for my second tank now. :)

There are many online sites that offer aquariums. Just surf around and you will find some. Try GlassGaces.com located here in Tenn. for some good deals, although the shipping will be high, obviously. Also, have you thought about driving down to Salt Lake City to pick one up? SLC is only a one-day's drive from Boise and it has several fish and pet stores. (Note in passing: There is a company in Draper, Utah, just south of SLC that raises and sells nothing but African chichlids, so search the Internet. Seek and ye shall find.)

Glasscages.com seems to have cheapest prices.
Also, if you think about it:
off craigslist:
you have no idea what has gone on with the tank
no idea how old it really is
no idea if it's been repaired
no idea what condition it REALLY is in
no warranty
if you buy new:
it's going to be freshest
it's going to be backed by a warranty
you know what condition it's in (new)

/shrug just my thoughts on it after I was lookin at CL for a larger tank...
I had to think about the possibility of stuff going bad sooner with a used tank than a new tank since I live on the 6th floor :|

Back
Top Bottom