Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-08-2005, 05:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Where should I buy my HQI Metal Halides?

Ok, I bought most the stuff for my new hobby from Big Al's. Only thing left is to upgrade my lighting on my new uesd tank. Right now I have 2 florescent 6'ers and I want to add 3x 250 HQI MH, tank size 72x30x18, 180 gal. I was told I couldn't go wrong with those bulbs by the few online fish stores I called.

Where can I find these cheap since I'm pretty much out of money now? Man I never thought this hobby was going to be this expensive! I guess its not cheap to be cool!

I found them on eBay for $450 plus shipping -
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=7706685617

Is that a good deal or are there better deals out there from one of your favorite sites?

ANYONE PLEASE

Old 11-08-2005, 05:44 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
The only other way would be a DIY which you could do for under 400

3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 07:34 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
to purchase the parts seperately..
250W HQI magnetic ballasts are rated "M80" any ballats that says it will fire M80 bulbs will due.. they usally sell for about 50 bucks a pop, you would need 3.. but sometimes you can find them listed in the industrial parts on ebay for $30 or so with shipping..
electronic HQI ballast run about $120 each..
wing reflectors for as little as $30 each with sockets. this would be if you were going for mogals.. or just some mogal sockets for $8 and make a sheet metal reflector (some use some aluminum foil from the kitchen here..lol)
double ended sockets go for about $25 each.. most people seem to go with sheet metal reflectors with these.. and you need to go to the frame shop in town and get some UV treated glass for these bulbs for a sheld, the glass on the bulbs do not have a UV coating..
so if you have a canopy to put the lighting hardware into.. it could run you ~$195-270 + bulbs..
well.. long story short is you can get it for a little less..
Old 11-08-2005, 07:43 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I try to stay away from the off brand stuff. I have been using coralvue products. I got a good deal on my new ones. I PMed you the details.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:00 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

LOL.. the coralvue uses the same componets brenden.. its a matter of good consturuction and the company doing the reaserch I did above for you.. :P
coralvue doesnt wind there own ballasts.. :P
Old 11-08-2005, 08:18 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not sure what you are talking about but the ebay auction does not mention a brand. If you read down to the bottom it finally mentions it is made by Catalina Aquarium. Coralvue has a good reputation. Regardless of who makes their ballast it has there name and rep stamped on it. Not sure what "research" you did for me but I guess I missed it. Yugo and Rolls Royce also use the same components but there is a difference. MY point is be cautious of off brand items with no reputation.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:52 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

um.. Rolls Royce hand machines all there parts... ttbomk
M30 ballasts are only maid by a few companys... advance and magnik are a couple..
and yes they selected the parts correctly and put them together well and thats what I said you were paying for with a brand name above.. the "reserch" is just wich M code the ballast has to be.. most places dont tell you the M30 was made to power a 250W HQI bulb..
and you do have a point.. there are a few brands people are having troble with..

Tags
hqi, metal

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com