Where to buy fish bags

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cheeky_monkey

Aquarium Advice Freak
I need to purchase some fish bags for transporting my fish during our relocation. Our local lfs will not sell me any and I cannot find any locally.

Can anyone recommend somewhere that will ship them internationally to Australia?

cheeky_monkey said:
I need to purchase some fish bags for transporting my fish during our relocation. Our local lfs will not sell me any and I cannot find any locally.

Can anyone recommend somewhere that will ship them internationally to Australia?

Kensfish.com sells them.but I dont know about shipping to aust

Fish bags are relatively cheap, getting them shipped internationally would probably make it unnecessarily expensive. If none of your LFS will give you any, look for some same-country aquarium supply places online. If that doesn't work, and there's not a ton of fish, just use a cooler to transport them in.

I'd second the bucket/cooler suggestion. I have moved hundreds of fish with buckets of the years. The longest was a trip from Baltimore to Pittsburgh. Ran the heater and an air pump off of a DC to AC converter.

Could you just use some other type of plastic bag? Or do they have to be fish specific? There are plastic bags that are very similar for candies and cookies that craft shops sell.

TheCrazyFishLady said:
Could you just use some other type of plastic bag? Or do they have to be fish specific? There are plastic bags that are very similar for candies and cookies that craft shops sell.

Those are way to thin. A fin could pierce those and lose all the water.

I swear I checked eBay Elise and could only find international sellers! I must have used the wrong search terms.

I need to keep a lot of my fish and shrimp seperate and they will need to be in transit for two maybe three days so I thought bags were easier than a cooler. Thoughts? I don't really want them sloshing around too much in the car either.

I will be transporting about 7adults 25juveniles and approx 150 fry of various ages. Plus the shrimp.

cheeky_monkey said:
I swear I checked eBay Elise and could only find international sellers! I must have used the wrong search terms.

I need to keep a lot of my fish and shrimp seperate and they will need to be in transit for two maybe three days so I thought bags were easier than a cooler. Thoughts? I don't really want them sloshing around too much in the car either.

I will be transporting about 7adults 25juveniles and approx 150 fry of various ages. Plus the shrimp.

If you have to keep them separate I think the bags would be the way to go. If you can open them up 2-3 times a day to add new air and put a drop of prime in once a day I think it's doable. :) You can pack the bags in a cooler to keep temps stable and them from moving about.

I made a 250 mile trip with various fish in a bucket when I helped a friend move from Baltimore to Pittsburgh. We got a bucket with a lid, cut some slots for the airline and heater power cord. Ran both off a DC to AC converter and kept the lid on tight to prevent splashing water inside the car.

I added a couple drops of Prime before we left too. I kept the bucket on the floor in the passenger seat and kept the car heat aimed at the bucket (it was winter time). All of them made the trip just fine.

Back
Top Bottom