Where to buy non-hypoallergenic floss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

soytnly

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Boy, I'm becoming a pest but with a last name of Fish, what do you expect?!! I went to Wally World to buy some polyester fiberfill to use as floss but there isn't any that is non-hypoallergenic. I also went to Target and they don't sell any. Does anyone have an outlet for the stuff that is affordable???

I do have those two stores nearby...I thought it was the consensus that they charged a fortune for floss and that one should buy it at a discount store. Either way I imagine you'd change it out maybe once per month so I spose it wouldn't be that costly either way...hmmmm...

They do charge a lot more but if there are no other stores near you that sell it, you should be ok. You can make it last more than a month in most instances by rinsing it out weekly.

Either I am having a senior moment or am having the worst case of deja vu every experienced - I could swear on my kid I posted a response here - well here is my 2cents again - You might want to look in a store called A.C. Moore - sort of an arts and crafts store - my sister picked some up there for her youngest kid who has all sorts of allergic reactions --- Now I must go to bed because my mind is playing games on me - I swear I posted here :scrambleup:

I get mine from WalMart. it is Poly-Fill, made by Fairfield. A big 20 oz bag, blue on top and white on the bottom. They have racks of the stuff here.

Sorry no pics, but the g/f has the camera.

Hope you can find it somewhere. It was cheap and has lasted for more than 6 months with 9 HOBs running. :)

Jeff

I'm pretty sure that's the same stuff I saw at my local Wally, but it says 'non-allergenic' on the bag. As I understand it, we're not suppose to use that, right? Or am I wrong? What is the harm with using hypoallergenic fiberfill anyway???

The floss I use does say non-allergenic on the bag. As I understand it, this means there should be nothing added to the material that is likely to cause an allergic reaction.

Hypo-allergenic, I think , usually means more aggresive measures were taken in manufacturing the product. As in something might have been added to treat it. I may be way off on this. What confuses the issue is there is no regulated defination for hypo-allergic. *shrug*

Bottom line, the Wal Mart product I described was recomneded to me by people who have used it for years, and I have used most of a bag. So far no issues with it. So, it should be okay.

What you need to avoid is stuff labeled as being mildew resistant, fire retardant, stain resistant, um, impervious to gunfire, that sort of thing.

HTH
Jeff

Holy hannah banana, batman

I had no idea. Okay, I retract my initial question...they do have 'non' allergenic and I'll pick some up. I picked up a bag, if you could call it that. at Petsmart yesterday...I think there's like 4 square inches for $4 or some such thing (ha!). Walmart, here I come!

Thanks again, you guys are great!

Back
Top Bottom