Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-30-2008, 09:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Where to buy non-hypoallergenic floss

Boy, I'm becoming a pest but with a last name of Fish, what do you expect?!! I went to Wally World to buy some polyester fiberfill to use as floss but there isn't any that is non-hypoallergenic. I also went to Target and they don't sell any. Does anyone have an outlet for the stuff that is affordable???

Old 04-30-2008, 09:34 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
Sorry I get mine from Walmart. Do you have more than one of each store around there? Try calling first.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:47 PM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Do you have a petsmart near you? Or a Petco?

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:57 PM   #4

I do have those two stores nearby...I thought it was the consensus that they charged a fortune for floss and that one should buy it at a discount store. Either way I imagine you'd change it out maybe once per month so I spose it wouldn't be that costly either way...hmmmm...
Old 04-30-2008, 10:04 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
They do charge a lot more but if there are no other stores near you that sell it, you should be ok. You can make it last more than a month in most instances by rinsing it out weekly.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:05 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Either I am having a senior moment or am having the worst case of deja vu every experienced - I could swear on my kid I posted a response here - well here is my 2cents again - You might want to look in a store called A.C. Moore - sort of an arts and crafts store - my sister picked some up there for her youngest kid who has all sorts of allergic reactions --- Now I must go to bed because my mind is playing games on me - I swear I posted here
Old 05-02-2008, 07:24 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I get mine from WalMart. it is Poly-Fill, made by Fairfield. A big 20 oz bag, blue on top and white on the bottom. They have racks of the stuff here.

Sorry no pics, but the g/f has the camera.

Hope you can find it somewhere. It was cheap and has lasted for more than 6 months with 9 HOBs running.

Jeff
Old 05-03-2008, 12:57 AM   #8

I'm pretty sure that's the same stuff I saw at my local Wally, but it says 'non-allergenic' on the bag. As I understand it, we're not suppose to use that, right? Or am I wrong? What is the harm with using hypoallergenic fiberfill anyway???
Old 05-03-2008, 10:07 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

The floss I use does say non-allergenic on the bag. As I understand it, this means there should be nothing added to the material that is likely to cause an allergic reaction.

Hypo-allergenic, I think , usually means more aggresive measures were taken in manufacturing the product. As in something might have been added to treat it. I may be way off on this. What confuses the issue is there is no regulated defination for hypo-allergic. *shrug*

Bottom line, the Wal Mart product I described was recomneded to me by people who have used it for years, and I have used most of a bag. So far no issues with it. So, it should be okay.

What you need to avoid is stuff labeled as being mildew resistant, fire retardant, stain resistant, um, impervious to gunfire, that sort of thing.

HTH
Jeff
Old 05-03-2008, 10:26 AM   #10

Holy hannah banana, batman

I had no idea. Okay, I retract my initial question...they do have 'non' allergenic and I'll pick some up. I picked up a bag, if you could call it that. at Petsmart yesterday...I think there's like 4 square inches for $4 or some such thing (ha!). Walmart, here I come!

Thanks again, you guys are great!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com