Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 02-18-2013, 09:07 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 79
I'm not sure. I'm out of town for a couple days so I can check when I get back
__________________

__________________
StripedBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:09 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Andrew McFadden's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: johnstown, ohio
Posts: 7,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by StripedBandit View Post
I'm not sure. I'm out of town for a couple days so I can check when I get back
Ok I believe your best bet is going for an upgrade on a t5 light. Or doing a cheap fix like I told you about earlier
__________________

__________________
Andrew McFadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:12 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 79
What is the reflector that you use? And would it be considered an "upgrade" if I just got a new 6700k fluorescent bulb?
__________________
StripedBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:31 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Andrew McFadden's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: johnstown, ohio
Posts: 7,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by StripedBandit View Post
What is the reflector that you use? And would it be considered an "upgrade" if I just got a new 6700k fluorescent bulb?
What's the watts?
__________________
Andrew McFadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:37 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 79
Not sure. I don't know what the stock bulb is and i haven't decided which bulb I'm going to get.
__________________
StripedBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:05 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Bengals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 57
I also have a 29g (18 inch tall) tank and am going with the new Finnex Ray II 30 inch as the LED board is identical to the 24 inch with better spread and will give medium light to the tank. I didn't see if you had a specific budget but the 30 inch ray II is ~$95 but depending where you live and your electricity costs it may save you a lot of $$ in a yr or so. I'm ordering mine tomorrow so hopefully will have it by next weekend. The stock T8 15 watt bulb that came with my tank is worthless!

I'd consider the LEDS for increased efficiency compared with a 65w setup.
__________________
Bengals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:42 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew McFadden View Post
This is just a standard hood that came with the tank, right? And you said 24"? Or was I mistaken
Here is a 24" 75 watt
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=3805
That's the wrong spectrum for plants you're looking at 6-8k
__________________
gravereaper0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:53 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals View Post
I also have a 29g (18 inch tall) tank and am going with the new Finnex Ray II 30 inch as the LED board is identical to the 24 inch with better spread and will give medium light to the tank. I didn't see if you had a specific budget but the 30 inch ray II is ~$95 but depending where you live and your electricity costs it may save you a lot of $$ in a yr or so. I'm ordering mine tomorrow so hopefully will have it by next weekend. The stock T8 15 watt bulb that came with my tank is worthless!

I'd consider the LEDS for increased efficiency compared with a 65w setup.
I'd prefer to spend a little less than that, especially since I'm not trying to do an elaborate planted tank.

I'd honestly prefer to find a bulb that can just fit into the current hood, but if that's not possible then I'll definitely consider other options. When I get back in town I'm going to shop around and see what I come across.
__________________
StripedBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:16 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 380
There has to be a grow bulb for the light you got now. Just find out the size and connection type
__________________
gravereaper0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:23 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 79
Sounds good
__________________

__________________
StripedBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bulb, bulbs, price, spec, spectrum

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.