Where to by full spectrum bulbs for a fairly low price?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StripedBandit

Aquarium Advice Regular
I want to start growing plants in my 29g. I was told in another thread that a 6500K bulb of about 60 watts would be sufficient for what I am looking to do. I'm willing to put the money up, but I was just looking for some of the less expensive retailers out there. Any suggestions? I believe the fixture is 24", but I could be wrong on that.

It sounds like you want an aquarium bulb but I wanted to throw this out there. I switched on my 29 to these bulbs found at the grocery store. I actually get better plant growth then what I had before.

ForumRunner_20130218_072626.jpg

I have the stock bulb that came with the kit. How does that work as far as attaching it? And does it evenly distribute the light?

I have seen those used different ways. I have mine clipped on with a reflector from home depot. Not all that attractive. But the bulbs are a lot cheaper. I'm going to do it on my ten gallon planted as soon as I go out and buy a desk lamp like this. The one I have now is on a refugium that can't be seen. So I wasn't worried about the looks. Using the reflector it spreads the light three the whole tank. I would imagine it has a lot to do with how wide of an area it will do. Or it will depend on how high it is. Anyways I live far from any lfs so I like cheese because I can get them at the grocery store that's closer to home and they are energy efficient
http://www.google.com/shopping/prod...ei=PlkiUa-hD4q6qgGxv4H4CA&ved=0CIwBEPMCMAM4Mg

Last edited:
Okay thanks.

My main issue when looking online is that most of the bulbs with higher wattage are too big for my fixture. Most of the bulbs that should fit my tank have 20-30watts

Yes that is correct. But I may have made a mistake. It may actually need a 30" bulb. It's on a 29g.

Mine came with one bulb, did yours happen to come with a two bulb fixture? I'm not having any luck finding anything. But if it came with a two bulb fixture you may be able to run two 30 watt 6500k. Otherwise I believe your going to need to upgrade the fixture. At less someone chimes in here to help finding one.

What is the reflector that you use? And would it be considered an "upgrade" if I just got a new 6700k fluorescent bulb?

Not sure. I don't know what the stock bulb is and i haven't decided which bulb I'm going to get.

I also have a 29g (18 inch tall) tank and am going with the new Finnex Ray II 30 inch as the LED board is identical to the 24 inch with better spread and will give medium light to the tank. I didn't see if you had a specific budget but the 30 inch ray II is ~$95 but depending where you live and your electricity costs it may save you a lot of $$ in a yr or so. I'm ordering mine tomorrow so hopefully will have it by next weekend. The stock T8 15 watt bulb that came with my tank is worthless!

I'd consider the LEDS for increased efficiency compared with a 65w setup.

I also have a 29g (18 inch tall) tank and am going with the new Finnex Ray II 30 inch as the LED board is identical to the 24 inch with better spread and will give medium light to the tank. I didn't see if you had a specific budget but the 30 inch ray II is ~$95 but depending where you live and your electricity costs it may save you a lot of $$ in a yr or so. I'm ordering mine tomorrow so hopefully will have it by next weekend. The stock T8 15 watt bulb that came with my tank is worthless!

I'd consider the LEDS for increased efficiency compared with a 65w setup.
I'd prefer to spend a little less than that, especially since I'm not trying to do an elaborate planted tank.

I'd honestly prefer to find a bulb that can just fit into the current hood, but if that's not possible then I'll definitely consider other options. When I get back in town I'm going to shop around and see what I come across.

There has to be a grow bulb for the light you got now. Just find out the size and connection type

Back
Top Bottom