Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-13-2009, 03:01 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Where to put Aragonite in Filter??

I am currently using an Aqua One Clear View filter. It is a hang on the back of the tank type. I have been told I need to use some aragonite to increase the KH levels, thus stabilising the pH (is this correct?) and that it should be placed in the filter.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this filter and where it should be placed?

I'm fairly knew to keeping fish, so any help much appreciated.

Water Parameters
kH - 30 ppm or 2.2dH
pH - Drops rapidly from 7.6 to 6!
Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate - None to only a little bit, nothing of concern

smaxfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 04:59 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

What type of tank and fish? For your benefit it would be a great idea to list the exact readings so the members could better help answer your question. I'm not to familiar with aragonite's use in a filter but in a sw environment used as a substrate it does elevate the PH & KH. Sorry I couldn't help you more but I'm sure someone will come along and be able to give you a definitive answer just make sure you have the values for all of your tests handy.

120 Mixed Reef
InfernoST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:49 AM   #3
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
I'm assuming you are referring to a freshwater setup. Don't put any aragonite in a filter for saltwater. It will accomplish nothing. Aragonite does not affect alkalinity in a saltwater tank....unless the pH is around 7 where aragonite will start to dissolve (think how a calcium reactor works).

A freshwater tank typically has a much lower pH and the aragonite will dissolve to maintain KH. You can put it in a mesh bag and place it in the filter.
125g reef
See My Tank Info
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote

aragonite, filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com