Where to put Aragonite in Filter??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smaxfield

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

I am currently using an Aqua One Clear View filter. It is a hang on the back of the tank type. I have been told I need to use some aragonite to increase the KH levels, thus stabilising the pH (is this correct?) and that it should be placed in the filter.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this filter and where it should be placed?

I'm fairly knew to keeping fish, so any help much appreciated.

Water Parameters
kH - 30 ppm or 2.2dH
pH - Drops rapidly from 7.6 to 6!
Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate - None to only a little bit, nothing of concern

Thanks

What type of tank and fish? For your benefit it would be a great idea to list the exact readings so the members could better help answer your question. I'm not to familiar with aragonite's use in a filter but in a sw environment used as a substrate it does elevate the PH & KH. Sorry I couldn't help you more but I'm sure someone will come along and be able to give you a definitive answer just make sure you have the values for all of your tests handy.

I'm assuming you are referring to a freshwater setup. Don't put any aragonite in a filter for saltwater. It will accomplish nothing. Aragonite does not affect alkalinity in a saltwater tank....unless the pH is around 7 where aragonite will start to dissolve (think how a calcium reactor works).

A freshwater tank typically has a much lower pH and the aragonite will dissolve to maintain KH. You can put it in a mesh bag and place it in the filter.

Back
Top Bottom