Which Canister filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

K9Kyle

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am setting up a 70 gallon tank with cichlids. I have decided on a canister filter, but am not sure which one to get. Want something that's nice but don't want to break the bank.

XP3 is a good canister for the money... My XP3 has been running over 4 years in my other 55g. I'm also starting a new Malawi 75g tank and will be running the XP3 canister along with AquaClear 110 power filter.

Agree with the above statement. I have had my xp2 and xp3 for like 10 years with no issues. Other people really like the fx5 but I can't compare due to the fact I've never needed a new one :)

I have a Eheim 2215, great filter. Did loads of research before I bought and chose that as it has great reviews. My tank is 63 gallons so similar size to yours.

The Fluval FX5 always seems to get great press. I was thinking of getting one but it's more for 100g+ tanks. But Eheim and Fluval are brands you should definetely look into.

Rena XP canisters are great filters. VERY easy to service. Only one lever to mess with, and no priming when setting back up after service. They do an excellent job!! I wouldn't have another Fluval. Just my opinion. Hated them, ceramic impeller shaft, and hard to get reprimed.:banghead:

Back
Top Bottom